Join for free
Page 2 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 08:00 PM

Re: Anyone prepping for an Oct No-Deal?

Cigarretes can reach £100 a pack for all I care being a non smoker .
Have got used to cheap vino though .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Swapped your money for what and why?
Bitcoins!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 08:12 PM

Prepping? In what way? What do I need to prep?
Take off the kitchen door, hide under it, paint everything white and tag next door's grandmother?

No I'll take life as it comes and deal with everything it throws at me ta.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 08:19 PM

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

03-07-2019, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Bitcoins!
Funny things them you have to mine them
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->
Wsh I had so much income I could afford to lose £4k!

As someone on a low income with what would be classed as pre-existing health conditions would I be able to get any health insurance I could afford? Would medications needed for life still be free to me?

I'm sure I can't be the only person in the country worried about this?
Over here (netherlands) everyone is (by law) obliged to take out health insurance. We have more than 10 insurance companies and by the end of the calendar year you can switch companies. Every company offers what is known as the basic package. The monthly costs (€99/month) vary little (€1-3/month) between companies. The government determines, based on advice from commissions, what is covered by this package.
Insurance companies cannot refuse you on any pre-existing medical condition for this base package.
On top of the basic you can take out insurance for specific items. Psychotherapy, fysiotherapy, dental works. That adds extra monthly costs, costs vary by company and you can be refused.

To reduce the use of medicines and visits to the GP, the first € 385/year are not covered, you have to pay that yourself.

So in toal you pay, depending on the insurance you take, €100-150/month (£90-135). On top of that € 385/12 = 32/month £30).

How does that compare with UK health care?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
i'm pretty sure i can speak for most that voted to leave the eu that a no deal is what we expected. No one even mentioned the possibility of a deal in the early days otherwise we might as well have stayed in.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Cigarretes can reach £100 a pack for all I care being a non smoker .
Have got used to cheap vino though .
Not French vinegar I trust? I drink US or South American wines by and large. The only European wine I sup is Italian Chianti.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

03-07-2019, 09:20 PM

Spanish .
They have excellent wine.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Over here (netherlands) everyone is (by law) obliged to take out health insurance. We have more than 10 insurance companies and by the end of the calendar year you can switch companies. Every company offers what is known as the basic package. The monthly costs (€99/month) vary little (€1-3/month) between companies. The government determines, based on advice from commissions, what is covered by this package.
Insurance companies cannot refuse you on any pre-existing medical condition for this base package.
On top of the basic you can take out insurance for specific items. Psychotherapy, fysiotherapy, dental works. That adds extra monthly costs, costs vary by company and you can be refused.

To reduce the use of medicines and visits to the GP, the first € 385/year are not covered, you have to pay that yourself.

So in toal you pay, depending on the insurance you take, €100-150/month (£90-135). On top of that € 385/12 = 32/month £30).

How does that compare with UK health care?

I was born with a condition that requires medication for life so have exemption and have never had to pay for them or anything else my GP prescribes currently on the NHS.

I have to have regular blood tests so not visiting a GP and getting medications is NOT an option, just to be able to stay alive.

Dental care is no longer free in the UK (for adults) so I haven't been to a dentist for over 30 years. Under your scheme I probably wouldn't be able to afford to add any extra's.

Isn't the UK pension something like £42 a week? how would most be able to afford £100 a month just for a compulsory insurance and pay for food and other bills?

Many of our pensioners in the UK are already in a 'Eat or Heat' situation with adult social care really underfunded in most places. I know I'm going to be worse off under universal credit too than I am on the older system. I think thre's about 2 months you get no money at all (6-8 weeks while they decide whether you're entitled to get it and thats if you\re lucky and get it straight away)

I'm not sure they back pay your rent for that period so I have to try and save up enough to cover at least 4 months bills I think to give me some breathing space. It would be just my luck a no deal brexit happened at the same time causing more chaos, prices to go up etc.

I just wondered if anyone was stocking up on extra food incase of problems? and for what kind of period? 6 weeks? 6 months?

I thought being an 'over 50s' group there maybe more people here who maybe pensioners, disabled or would struggle to get stuff in over the winter if there were strikes, riots disrupting things, stuff not getting through customs etc?

Page 2 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top