Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 04:48 PM

Where Have All The Butterfly's Gone.?

I wonder if its a weather thing.

Last year my back garden was inundated with them whites everywhere.
This year I have hardly seen a white .

I have seen a few Admirals and my old faithful the tiny blue about an inch in wingspan.
I used to think of it as something like a moth at one time because I had never seen any butterfly's that size.
Now I have gotten used to it playing about in-between the plants every summer.

Hoping as the flowers are starting to bloom I may start get the whites visiting more regularly again.
I know before you say it this will mean more caterpillars and eaten leaf's, but hey the birds have to be fed don't they.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 04:52 PM

Re: Where Have All The Butterfly's Gone.?

We haven't got many butterflies either, the Buddleia is now coming into bloom so hopefully more will arrive when it does.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 07:41 PM

You are not alone Bigfella, I have not seen half the numbers I normally do.

Like Tiff jus said, the Buddleia's should soon attract them if they are still around somewhere.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:04 PM

This is something I was talking about to a friend the other day. I haven't seen any this year.
As Tiffany says, the buddleia will be in flower soon, so maybe they will appear then.
It is very odd though, considering we are all in different parts of the country . Do you think we are too eager ?

Feeding the birds is something else this year. My goodness, they are getting through masses of food. Amongst other things it's like a sparrow nursery outside. To add to them two greater spotted woodpeckers have decided to have a daily bath in the bird bath. I haven't seen a woodpecker for years, and then it was only on one occasion.
Not many moths either.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:08 PM

Some places, mainly reserves, have got butterflies, people have been posting their pics on FB. No idea why other places haven't got them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:25 PM

I did see some in Spring and I saw a couple today. So they are around but just not so many. The buddleia hasn't flowered yet. No buds even. But really it was such a cold spring this year. The margarites are just starting to flower. Usually at this time they and the hydrangea are full of blooms. The Weigela is starting to bud again and I'm sure that will attract them.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:27 PM

My bees have disappeared too. There were plenty about 2-3 weeks ago and now none.
Each year at this time I cut the lawn in pathways, as it's mostly clover anyway but the reason is to leave the clover for the bees. The following week I will cut a pathway through the old clover and leave the fresh for the bees. It only lasts a few weeks , but no bees either !!
It may have been too hot for a while although the last couple of days have been much cooler..... still no bees , not one atm. Weird !
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

10-07-2019, 12:14 AM

We do have bees & wasps.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 03:45 PM

I took my dogs up a long cart track that runs between arable fields yesterday,
and saw no less than 14 butterflies!

I saw 3 of the Cabbage Whites, and 11 little brown ones, plain brown, they were everywhere. I don't know what they were though.
Anyhow, still nice to see them and be amongst them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-07-2019, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
We do have bees & wasps.

Yes, I've got loads of bees this year too, Tiff.
They are all over my Hebe's, even more than the roses.

I had some of those early huge queen wasps a little ago, but I always think the bulk of the blighters come when the plums are ripe, so won't be long now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top