Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 07:54 PM

Re: Unwanted Dating Sites

I know it's Javascript that is meant and this is very different to Java.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You get a little red symbol at the top of the screen which says ABP. You simply click on it, turn ad block off then refresh. reverse to turn it back on again. So far, I have not had a problem viewing anything.

Do you use Google Chrome Mups?

Not often, no, Dongle.
I tend to use Firefox mostly.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Well, OGF you are missing many inviting offers from attractive girls of all nationalities.
They simply do not interest me, nor do Dating Sites.

You're making me feel left out now Azure.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Quite right OGF. I use Vivaldi as a browser and if I disable my ad-blocker, I start to get adverts here and elsewhere. I get them in Firefox too.

However, I don't get those ads when using Chrome (AdGuard still disabled). I don't think this is to do with subscriptions/donations though. It's probably more to do with what's said in the page linked to below.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...me_ad_blocker/
I don't subscribe to google Mart, but I subscribe to this one and it means no more adds......
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't subscribe to google Mart, but I subscribe to this one and it means no more adds......
Your donation to OFF may not be the reason you aren't seeing ads, although I know some sites will remove them if you donate or pay. I haven't donated but don't see ads here while using Google Chrome (with my ad-blocker turned off). I think the most likely reason for not seeing ads while using Google Chrome is given in the page I linked to.

Edit: Going to have to eat my words here. I hadn't realised that although my ad-blocker was turned off, I discovered the the Bitdefender anti-tracker extension was still in operation. This is disabled in Firefox but I left it active in Chrome. That's why I wasn't seeing adverts in Chrome rather than the reason given in the page linked to. Your donation probably is the reason you aren't seeing ads here.

Sorry, I got caught out there.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

25-07-2019, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Your donation to OFF may not be the reason you aren't seeing ads, although I know some sites will remove them if you donate or pay. I haven't donated but don't see ads here while using Google Chrome (with my ad-blocker turned off). I think the most likely reason for not seeing ads while using Google Chrome is given in the page I linked to.
Thanks Mart, I always thought it was due to my subscription that I don't get the adds anymore, but you're right, it's probably down to google.....Good on em' I say....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

25-07-2019, 08:37 AM

Ah well, it's my error OGF. See my edit in the post above.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

25-07-2019, 08:45 AM

No problem Mart, it's just good not to see them cluttering up my screen anymore.....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That is so Bob see here...

Originally Posted by Azz
Silver Supporter
Unlimited PM space
Can request read receipt when sending PMs
Access to Subscribing Members Forum
Removal of Google Adverts in the top bar

Gold Supporter
Same as Silver but with:
Removal of Google adverts in side column as well

Diamond & Platinum Supporter
Same as Gold Supporter
Removal of all other Google adverts as well
https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=19664

Admin rents server space for his various sites (there were 6 at one time) , the subscriptions help to pay for this as does any small amount he gets from Google Ads. If people use Add blockers he doesn't get anything and has to fund any shorfall himself.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

25-07-2019, 09:40 AM

I'd like to unblock adverts for some sites but adverts can't be trusted not to attempt to put anything nasty on the computer. Also, I find some adverts are still quite animated and distracting.

With Google's start on advert quality control, maybe things will improve but I think it will be a long time before I'd trust adverts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvertising

I prefer to use an ad-blocker for the purpose and don't want to do it by disabling javascript.

I'll consider making a donation to OFF but I'm finding I don't use forums as much as I used to, just in short bursts such as this one. To play fair, maybe I shouldn't use the site without donating ..or I should take a chance, unblock adverts and click on the odd one while I'm here.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top