Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 12:04 PM

Runcorn fraudster claimed dead dad's benefits in £740k scam

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-49151801

A "devious" amateur actress who persuaded her friend to pretend to be her dead father in a £740,000 benefit scam has been jailed.

Ethel McGill, 68, of Runcorn in Cheshire, continued to claim her father Robert Dennison's war pension and benefits after his death in 2004.

She also feigned dementia and claimed she needed a wheelchair, Liverpool Crown Court heard on Monday.

McGill admitted fraud and was jailed for five years and 10 months.

The court heard the con unravelled when investigators filmed her walking and driving.

McGill, of Windmill Hill, pleaded guilty to 14 counts, including conspiracy to commit fraud, false accounting and false representation.

She had asked a friend to lie in bed and pretend to be her father when the authorities visited, the court heard.

A Department for Work and Pensions spokesperson said this was "deliberate and sustained" deception and in addition to any sentence "people must pay back all the money they falsely obtained."
Good for DWP ......

I worked for DWP on DLA and occasionally came across fraud, but never on that scale .....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 02:45 PM

Re: Runcorn fraudster claimed dead dad's benefits in £740k scam

That I guess will probably be the end of any kind of life for her. Under the Proceeds of Crime laws everything she owns will be considered as bought with the proceeds of the crimes for which she has been found guilty. That level of fraud leaves such a large amount to repay I doubt it will ever be settled in full, unless the Courts find otherwise of course.

That doesn't end there either, apparently. If the full amount she gained by fraud is not recovered then anything she may buy in the future could be considered as recoverable.

Rather like going bankrupt, future income can I believe be taken to go towards what is owed. Except that in bankruptcy there is a limit to the number of years before it expires.

With the Proceeds of Crime laws it would seem there is no limit on the time anything can be claimed back.

Not before time this kind of law was brought in. In the past criminals just stashed their ill-gotten gains, served their time and came out to be able to have a really good time.

Not any more though, which is brilliant I reckon.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 02:50 PM

How utterly despicable - I hope they throw away the key!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 03:14 PM

I don't know how some people live with themselves....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 03:24 PM

One thing that wondering about is the 740k over 15 years is close to 50k a year. Would the dad have been able to claim that much?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 03:30 PM

Disgusting! 740K isn't that much over a 15 year period.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
One thing that wondering about is the 740k over 15 years is close to 50k a year. Would the dad have been able to claim that much?
Wouldn't surprise me what with the lax attitude of Social Services.

More to the point, what are the chances of recovering some of this money? Has she got any assets that can be sold?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't know how some people live with themselves....
That's exactly what I said to my dad this morning, I don't know where these kind of people come from, no morals or shame, disgusting
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Disgusting! 740K isn't that much over a 15 year period.
Almost 50k a year is a lot more than most people earn.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Almost 50k a year is a lot more than most people earn.
Possibly, I am glad my husband earned more than that, when working, as do my sons-in-law.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top