Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 12:42 PM

Weeds.

Is anyone else having a lot of bother with weeds this year? I simply can't keep up with them. It seems for every one I pull another half dozen pop up.
I'm usually only one day a week on weed duty and the garden is ok BUT, this year it's crazy they are even coming up through the patio and they've never done that before.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 12:45 PM

Re: Weeds.

The weeds are thriving here too, Roxy

It must be the cocktail of heavy rain and hot sunshine that’s making them flourish this year...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
The weeds are thriving here too, Roxy

It must be the cocktail of heavy rain and hot sunshine that’s making them flourish this year...
My thoughts also.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 01:03 PM

Yes, the same here. Late last year, the end of September I recall it was, I had a new boundary fence put in which required a hedge to be removed. Where that hedge used to be, the area is about 36 feet x 4 feet (11 metres x 1.2 metres) there have been weeds growing, mostly nettles, brambles and a few poppies, reaching nearly four feet (1.2 metres) in height. Twice now, maybe three times, I have removed them all but to no avail, they just grow back again and with a vengeance!

I now have a pet name for them – the Triffids!

Eventually that area will be turfed. I am advised though that turfing is best done in the autumn to give it the best chance of surviving. A long wait so far but not long to go then it's bye bye Triffids!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 03:34 PM

No such thing as weeds, they are all wild flowers & my garden is full of them. The bees & insects love them & the birds eat the seeds after they've flowered. My garden is a wild life haven & all my Son has to do is mow the bit I call lawn, every week.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 03:36 PM

Not too bad. I put a layer of mulch on the beds in March (shredded bark) and it seems to have stopped the majority of them. The only thing we do get a lot of is bind weed but that's not too difficult too get rid of.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 04:35 PM

Roundup............I'll say no more.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Roundup............I'll say no more.
While I don't mind spraying the odd weed in the gaps in the patio slabs with Roundup, I have seen various reports as to it being carcinogenic. Spraying a very large area with lots of weeds in it is more risk than I would wish to chance.

There are also just as many reports published stating that it is not carcinogenic, I prefer though to keep on the safe side.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-farmers-suing
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 09:46 PM

Yep fully aware of so called dangers but the Bind Weed needs a good thrashing as the lazy neighbours just don't bother.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 10:23 PM

It's a pity someone can't invent vegetables that thrive like weeds and are not tasty to slugs and snails. How come they never devour the weeds?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top