Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Purple lizard
Somerset
Purple lizard is female 

08-08-2019, 04:00 PM

Re: Could you give up alcoholic drinks?

I'm not really bothered whether I drink or not tbh
Certainly have drunk in the past but I can get just as silly on a glass of water. Lol
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 04:42 PM

I have a bottle of beer on a Friday night, and maybe two on a Saturday night...unless somebody tells me I have to give it up, I’ll keep on drinking...
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 04:46 PM

Could you give up alcoholic drinks?

I could if I had to, luckily I don't have to.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 05:13 PM

Hic! wotshat you ashk? give up drink? get back to you in a mo, can't see the keyboard properly.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 05:16 PM

I wouldn't have to as I am teetotal and have been for 55 years. When I did have the odd beer before that it was lager, I found the chemicals in it gave me migraines, so that was the end of that.

Also I used to ride motorcycles. Full attention is required so as not to fall off them, another very good reason not to drink. Now a car driver, I enjoy driving and couldn't live with myself if an alcoholic drink on my part caused an accident, again that's good enough reason not to drink alcohol.

The last 'alcoholic' drink I had was some 24 years ago, just a sip of champagne to toast my daughter and her husband at their wedding!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 05:18 PM

Seriously, when we were working, we loved our one bottle of wine (or two) on a Saturday evening, but since both retired now, have a problem remembering what day it is as they all seem to blend into each other.

So we now buy a bottle of wine as a very serious reason to know that it is indeed Saturday.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 05:46 PM

I would never give up alcohol as I have a social life and a very close knit set of long-standing friends. Our meet ups take place at the weekend, usually on a Saturday afternoon and it's an essential part of the winding down process after working all week. We catch up with one another's happenings and enjoy a few pints of real ale. Nothing wrong with that.

On a Friday evening my wife and myself enjoy a meal and two or three pints at a local pub or restaurant. If we don't go out, my Friday evening is spent putting on a DVD and having 2-3 bottles of good quality ale and a nice oven-cooked meal.

I don't drink to excess and I am always in control of knowing what I'm doing, where I am and who I am lol. I'm very fit for my age and drinking doesn't have any effect on my health whatsoever. Those who smoke and watch endless TV are far more likely to succumb to lifestyle diseases.

A social life with wonderful friends is extremely important, especially for those who still work, otherwise what am I to do with my time...spend endless hours getting unfit and fat by sitting around playing computer games or tapping away on social media all day long? I don't think so.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I would never give up alcohol as I have a social life and a very close knit set of long-standing friends. Our meet ups take place at the weekend, usually on a Saturday afternoon and it's an essential part of the winding down process after working all week. We catch up with one another's happenings and enjoy a few pints of real ale. Nothing wrong with that.

On a Friday evening my wife and myself enjoy a meal and two or three pints at a local pub or restaurant. If we don't go out, my Friday evening is spent putting on a DVD and having 2-3 bottles of good quality ale and a nice oven-cooked meal.

I don't drink to excess and I am always in control of knowing what I'm doing, where I am and who I am lol. I'm very fit for my age and drinking doesn't have any effect on my health whatsoever. Those who smoke and watch endless TV are far more likely to succumb to lifestyle diseases.

A social life with wonderful friends is extremely important, especially for those who still work, otherwise what am I to do with my time...spend endless hours getting unfit and fat by sitting around playing computer games or tapping away on social media all day long? I don't think so.
Surely one can have a social life without drinking alcohol?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Not when the rest of your friends enjoy a drink. What are we all going to do...meet up in a coffee shop for four hours each Saturday instead? Or a garden centre lol!?
I like the 'buzz' of having a few drinks without getting sloshed and there's a difference.

Now, years ago if you'd asked me this question and I'd answered I'd have replied with very different views. In my RAF days especially I was a terribly fastidious drinker in my social time - as most were in the forces. I grew out of that when I got married I think!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
You would think so wouldn't you, but no that sometimes doesn't happen. The crowd I used to know never seemed to invite me me to the pub when they all went. I became a little annoyed at this and asked why, because I could have a non-alcoholic drink and be there with them? "No", that's not the same, you wouldn't get drunk like the rest of us and that would be no fun".

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top