Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2019, 01:39 PM

China Visa

Has anyone managed to get a visa for China recently? It would involve downloading forms from the Chinese embassy, uploading same and photos, AND visiting Chinese embassy in person for fingerprints and retina scans - for which an appointment must be booked in advance!

How easy/difficult is it? I have the option of using a visa company to check I have completed the forms correctly and want to know if it's worth the extra £48 to do that.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2019, 04:26 PM

Re: China Visa

When we went to China in 2006 we went with a company called Oriental Travel, via the internet, who I was going to recommend. however it seems as if they were dissolved in 2015.

Apart from that, the travel company,if your using one, should be able to sort out your visas etc.

In our case we sent the passports to the travel company, yes it did concern us at the time, and got them back a couple of days later with the visa stamp in it.

No need to get anyone to check forms or anything,save your money. Of course things may have changed since then

what we did notice is those who went with well known travel agents was the were taken to the great wall. They stepped off the coaches and onto the wall.

When we went we were taken right out to the countryside and got a ski lift to the mountain top

half way up in the ski lift

on top of the wall

this is what you are paying to see

Parts of the wall are a steep climb

Sue and tour guide, I stood back a few feet to give some idea

China on the left and Mongolia on the right

i don't know how long your going for, but it won't be long enough. I wish I could go back and see more, they are so friendly, even the little school kids wave to you

My advice ,for what it is worth is to book as a small party or individuals . We had our own tour guides own car and driver and went to places the others didn't go to.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2019, 06:10 PM

Thanks for your feedback RS - you're obviously lucky enough to travel with a good tour company..................not all of us enjoy that luxury, but I still consider a holiday to China pretty expensive so need to limit my costs and my travel company does not, and can not, arrange my visa:

Yes, things have changed a very great deal and security has been radically changed. I believe there are only three or four places in the UK (Chinese Embassy's??) and anyone visiting China MUST physically attend a pre-arranged interview with completed forms, photographs and verified identification in order to have their finger prints taken - it may also include retina scans! The cost of the visa is around £150. My travelling expenses will be in excess of £60. BUT I have the option of using the services of an expert visa advisor, to check I have completed the forms correctly - that's an additional £48............hence my question.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2019, 06:45 PM

Lindyloo
As I said you won't be disappointed in going to China. officialdom and politics aside the people are so friendly. staying with the tour guide is essential you have no idea who is watching you.
For example in our hotel at breakfast i did wonder about this man passing by in the corridor looking intently at us.

If taking photos of police or guards ask first, I did it by pointing at the camera and then at a guard and got a smile from that guard now looking sideways. he was not allowed to move, so i knew it was ok.

Just one thing worth mentioning. Their 5* hotels are the same as our 3* hotels so it seems or used to be.

The long flight is a bit of a downer but worth it in the end
I wont put up photos of inside the forbidden city that might take away the pleasure of seeing it for yourself

The terra cotta army is amazing to see and the artifacts as well

if you get a chance see the bell and drum towers, loads of history .
Lindyloo
isle of wight

26-07-2019, 09:01 PM

Thanks RS. I appreciate your comments. If anyone else has experience of obtaining a visa for China in recent years, i'd appreciate your views.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top