Join for free
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2019, 09:40 PM

Brexiteer or Remainer? Give us your reasons!

I'm just an ordinary OAP.

I have no property, or family, in EU countries.

My main reasons for supporting Brexit are:-

1) I want the parliament I elected to manage the country in which I live. I don't feel the need for 3 or 4 levels of control.

2) I want to be part of a democratic Country.

3) I like being British! ( take that any way you like).

I think it would be interesting to hear what others say about the reasons for their choices. No, not the usual mantras - let's talk about any personal reasons - like having a job, over there, owning property over there, the fear of immigrants taking your job, whatever.

We hear that it's all going to be bad. But what is going to be bad for you?
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 09:37 AM

Re: Brexiteer or Remainer? Give us your reasons!

I am a leaver.
I am British, I was born in Britain (England)
I want to remain British without being handcuffed to some minor European country who lay down laws which we have to adhere to.
I want to live in a country that decides it,s own destiny and does not have to get 'permission' from some other insignificant country.
This is Britain and the only way to put the Great back in it,s title is to get out of the prison we are being held in.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 11:19 AM

I voted remain because I could not see the economic advantages of leaving and I envisaged exactly the sort of mess we have now. It's a waste of effort when we will end up with some second rate agreement which will leave us worse off than we are now. The EU has many faults but we are too deep in. I had no interest in patriotic angles. The way things are going it could lead to the break up of the UK so what will being "British" mean if that happens?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 12:08 PM

My reasons for voting Leave? Where does one start?

Everyone by now knows that the Brexit vote pitted young against old. Nothing any of us can do about that.
Even thinking of the EU and everything it stands for, makes my blood boil. Okay, like many others, I am of the age where I grew up learning of the sacrifices made just a few years before I was born, for the precious freedom we were given after WW2. So, although many younger of today when the discussion of Brexit comes up, mock us oldies whenever we mention those same sacrifices, their stock reply is usually - that it was 70 odd years ago, that we oldies are completely xenophobic, that time has moved on and the EU is a bastion for keeping the peace during the last 70 years , I say BALONEY! There is only one organisation that has covered that mission, and that is NATO.

The three most important issues for my voting to leave, are as follows

Sovereignty and Regulation by those who govern us.

We elect MP’s to represent us in British Parliament (which truthfully, has been a joke during Brexit). We have never asked for or needed two or three extra layers of power in which those we elected, simply pay homage to decisions made by unelected and undemocratic men in grey suits based in another country! I will never accept that.

As for Regulation - I don’t have to tell you the ridiculous rules that have been spewed out time after time from that bearpit. Remember the “You can’t recycle a Teabag” or “Children under eight can no longer blow up balloons” or “The limit on the power of vacuum cleaners," Don’t get me started on the“no longer allowed bent bananas and mis-shapen fruit and veg”.

Immigration.

This is a very emotive issue I appreciate. But… there is a reason we didn’t fully dismantle our borders. We refused to join the Schengen agreement, but unfortunately, are still forced to admit an unlimited number of migrants from other EU countries. Look how many low-wage EU workers have come here, brought a smile to faces of bosses of our businesses, happy to take on EU workers on lower wages and thereby making depressed wages for Brits.
I don’t have to mention again the problems with our Housing, Education, Health and Social Care that has gone along with that. Translators alone costs the taxpayer £100m a year spent on police, councils and hospitals for immigrants who don’t speak a word of English. How much more good that money could have been spent on our own.

Ever further Integration of the EU.

They want the lot! Industrial, Political, Military, Legal, Economic, Social and Cultural control of every member state. (even those only partially in Europe) This is their sole aim and the real reason the EU came into being. They will never stop until they achieve their goal. The main players are Germany and France, who have always been the main beneficiaries.

No matter what the outcome of Brexit, Thank the good Lord we were given the opportunity to have a say.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 12:49 PM

Everything that Shropshiregirl has listed and furthermore....

We have stood back and allowed our industries, Engineering, Steel production, Shipbuilding, Textiles and Clothing, Fishing and farming to be taken away from us. I don't necessarily blame the EU for this, but the people who would see this country be ruled from Brussels for the sake of accepting cheaper goods from other parts of the EU and/or world, sacrificing our own industries/jobs.

We have become a country of 'Service Industries' instead of manufacturing and production. Under the tyranny of EU rules and regulations regarding carbon and saving the planet we have decimated our car and coal industries, foreign motor companies are leaving in droves, not because of Brexit, but because of the ridiculous notion that if we no longer drive diesel and petrol vehicles we will somehow prevent the polar ice caps from melting, or produce rain in Africa, or prevent rain in India....It's all Borax and Brainwashing...Especially when far more populated countries than the UK do nothing, and we continue to ship goods from all corners of the world (using massive marine diesel engines) wasting resources when we could remove most of the lorries blocking our road networks if we produce goods locally here.

We have been made the suckers of the world and stood by and watched, cheered on by some of our own people (remainers) as our country has methodically been asset stripped piece by piece, and only the Brexiteers have woken up and smelt the coffee...We have the determination and the technology to be self sufficient once again, providing jobs for our own farmers, fishermen and engineers, and not in an undemocratic gang of bureaucrats who only see money and wealth as the driving force behind power. They don't give a sh$t about you or your country, just how much wealth they can fiddle out of you to be squandered away on high rise posh office blocks and a life of riley......It has to stop!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I voted remain because I could not see the economic advantages of leaving and I envisaged exactly the sort of mess we have now. It's a waste of effort when we will end up with some second rate agreement which will leave us worse off than we are now. The EU has many faults but we are too deep in. I had no interest in patriotic angles. The way things are going it could lead to the break up of the UK so what will being "British" mean if that happens?
The mess we have now is because the Remain voters wouldn't accept the results of the referendum and have consequently done all that they can to subvert that vote. The duplicitous MPs who said they would honour the outcome have also reneged on their promises with a determined effort to keep us in ably abetted by a `Remainer` PM who just accepted some terms given to her by the EU, terms that could never be agreed upon no matter which side of the Leave/Remain camp parliament was.

In my opinion, as soon as the result was announced, steps should have been taken to remove us from that corrupt organisation within a month - no payment, no deal, no nothing. As soon as we were out, proper trade alliances and agreements could have been forged without the interference of EU bureaucracy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 01:03 PM

Leaver

I hate the fact that our country pays these idiots to sit around in meetings, with free lunches, discussing what shape a banana should be.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The mess we have now is because the Remain voters wouldn't accept the results of the referendum and have consequently done all that they can to subvert that vote. The duplicitous MPs who said they would honour the outcome have also reneged on their promises with a determined effort to keep us in ably abetted by a `Remainer` PM who just accepted some terms given to her by the EU, terms that could never be agreed upon no matter which side of the Leave/Remain camp parliament was.

In my opinion, as soon as the result was announced, steps should have been taken to remove us from that corrupt organisation within a month - no payment, no deal, no nothing. As soon as we were out, proper trade alliances and agreements could have been forged without the interference of EU bureaucracy.
I agree Judd. May's poncing around for three years has not done us any favours.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 01:21 PM

Leaver ......

For reasons already listed but if you want a perfect example of why EU membership is just wrong for the UK just look at Ireland and the backstop issue.

Ireland has totally lost it's Sovereignity on this issue and is now Brussels' mouthpiece by proxy.

It is not possible for Ireland to sit down with the UK and come to a sensible arrangement, even though the majority of Eire residents wants exactly that.

When you consider that the UK has absolutely and unilaterally pledged not to construct any infrastructure on the NI Border and when you consider that we have no intention to stop trade or free movement across the border and when you consider how much trade and persons from both sides traverses that border daily you have to ask how on earth can there be any barriers to an agreement and who is putting those barriers in the way.

When you have to consider the opinions and prejudices and ulterior motives of 27 other countries.......especially European countries and all the hate, conflict and anger there is on the continent, it is impossible to negotiate a deal between UK and Ireland that isn't polluted by all of that.

Varadker needs to eat some humble pie, stop playing the Irish Rebel to the Colonialist Britain persona and return to the 21st century. Cosying up to Sinn Fein does not help his cause neither.
What does that say to Irish protestants when you are calling for border referendums to unite Ireland but are making it obvious that you will NEVER represent fairly the protestant community.

Ireland are not able to act pragmatically, fairly or in the interests of its own people because that does not suit Brussels!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Leaver ......

For reasons already listed but if you want a perfect example of why EU membership is just wrong for the UK just look at Ireland and the backstop issue.

Ireland has totally lost it's Sovereignity on this issue and is now Brussels' mouthpiece by proxy.

It is not possible for Ireland to sit down with the UK and come to a sensible arrangement, even though the majority of Eire residents wants exactly that.

When you consider that the UK has absolutely and unilaterally pledged not to construct any infrastructure on the NI Border and when you consider that we have no intention to stop trade or free movement across the border and when you consider how much trade and persons from both sides traverses that border daily you have to ask how on earth can there be any barriers to an agreement and who is putting those barriers in the way.

When you have to consider the opinions and prejudices and ulterior motives of 27 other countries.......especially European countries and all the hate, conflict and anger there is on the continent, it is impossible to negotiate a deal between UK and Ireland that isn't polluted by all of that.

Varadker needs to eat some humble pie, stop playing the Irish Rebel to the Colonialist Britain persona and return to the 21st century. Cosying up to Sinn Fein does not help his cause neither.
What does that say to Irish protestants when you are calling for border referendums to unite Ireland but are making it obvious that you will NEVER represent fairly the protestant community.

Ireland are not able to act pragmatically, fairly or in the interests of its own people because that does not suit Brussels!

Time to move back to england, moscow?

England would be better off without Scotland, Tory candidate said
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ed-by-scotland

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top