Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 06:35 AM

Read the labels!

Walked up to the retail park shops yestermorn about 7:00am. Needed cleaning stuff. The original plan was to go to Sainsbury's but - one of my neighbours asked if I would go to Asda and buy her one of their own brand little pots of 'Coronation Chicken - so off I went.

Found what she wanted - it was on offer - 2 for £2:50p so I thought I might try one as well - until I read the label!

The chicken was from
Thailand and/or Brazil
Why?

Do we not grow chickens here any more?

That second pot went back on the shelf.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 07:35 AM

Re: Read the labels!

The same here Silver Tabby. Frozen chicken breast fillets labelled 'Produce of Thailand' so I looked for others and found them, only they were labelled 'Produce of Poland, made from Polish chickens'!

The alternative 'out here in the rural sticks' is to drive another 20-mile round trip to another supermarket and chance the same problem.

All in the name of making more profit I reckon. This is happening with many products in many supermarkets too from what I see.

We probably can and do produce chickens ourselves but if chicken is being imported cheaper from abroad then supermarkets will buy that in, as will many shoppers too.

Just yesterday on television a dairy farmer was saying he cannot compete with the cheaper imported milk because he has to follow the rules on the conditions in which he keeps his animals, the foreign importer does not do this so can produce milk cheaper. Many shoppers will buy the cheaper milk on the shelf.

I believe the saying to cover this goes something like 'it is not a level playing field'.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 07:51 AM

I buy chicken fresh from my local farm shop I assume it's locally sourced especially because it's not frozen...I will ask next time I'm there.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 08:49 AM

Thailand and/or Brazil.

That's far-flung chicken, and they're not even sure which direction it came from. (and/or).

I bet it includes lashings of Sulphur Dioxide.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Thailand and/or Brazil.

That's far-flung chicken, and they're not even sure which direction it came from. (and/or).

I bet it includes lashings of Sulphur Dioxide.
LOL! Just pinched the empty carton from my friend's recycling bin - and you are right - fourth highest ingredient! Tried to photograph the rest of the list - but could not produce a clear imagine - so have listed them instead - chicken is a long way down! :-

Reduced fat mayonnaise 62%
Water
Rapeseed Oil
Sulphur Dioxide
Spirit Vinegar
Pasteurised egg yolk
White Wine Vinegar
Dijon Mustard
Mustard seeds
Sugar
Salt
Stabiliser (???)
Pectin
Diced chicken breast
Sultanas
Mango
Apricot
Tomato paste
Turmeric
Cinnamon
Gram flour
Acidity regulator (???)

Friend caught me in the act - now thinks I am completely bonkers!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:30 AM

I know about this Tabs, see it all the time on the bags in Iceland and Asda.

As you say - why?

Why oh why do we import this stuff when we already have it here?
Don't tell me Export ours, so have to buy foreign rubbish back in!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

All in the name of making more profit I reckon.
Yes, but if they didn't make a profit they wouldn't exist.
Having said that, I too, would be wary of meat from south east Asia.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 10:15 AM

Very glad we don't eat meat, it doesn't look like it's very safe these days at all.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 10:49 AM

I don’t eat meat either .
Would never dream of putting such as ST has described into my body . Ugh!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Walked up to the retail park shops yestermorn about 7:00am. Needed cleaning stuff. The original plan was to go to Sainsbury's but - one of my neighbours asked if I would go to Asda and buy her one of their own brand little pots of 'Coronation Chicken - so off I went.

Found what she wanted - it was on offer - 2 for £2:50p so I thought I might try one as well - until I read the label!

The chicken was from Why?

Do we not grow chickens here any more?

That second pot went back on the shelf.

Your government is probably saving you from the danger posed by your dodgy farmers. UK Chicken and poultry bi-products are still banned from being imported into Australia for biosecurity reasons as, of course, are any UK beef products.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top