Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 04:58 PM

Fastnet 40: Sailors remember storm that left 19 dead

Forty years ago, 19 people died in what became the worst disaster in ocean racing history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...t-left-19-dead (video)

More than 300 boats, carrying 2,500 sailors, set off from Cowes for the biennial race to Fastnet rock in southern Ireland. But on the second night, a ferocious storm ripped through the fleet, leading to what was the biggest air-sea rescue mounted in peacetime.

For the anniversary of the disaster, some of the crew who survived the night have been speaking about their experiences, including Matt Sheahan, who was 17 years old when he saw his own father die.
https://home.bt.com/news/on-this-day...11363996706822

Six men were lost overboard and swept away because their safety harnesses broke; nine others drowned or died of hypothermia. Three rescuers also lost their lives.

Only 85 yachts out of 303 reached the finish line; at least 75 boats flipped upside down, five yachts sank and 24 crews abandoned ship.
I remember it vividly - the TV footage included pictures of men (dead and dying) and smashed boats (capsized and sinking) which littered a vast area of heaving, stormy ocean ..... it left me feeling unbearably sad and helpless .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 06:05 PM

Re: Fastnet 40: Sailors remember storm that left 19 dead

I remember it well Omah, listening to the news coming in everyone helpless to do anything but to wait and hope.

I can't believe it's 40 years ago...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 12:39 PM

Re: Fastnet 40: Sailors remember storm that left 19 dead

This year's race hardly had a mention - apart from the change of date.

It is a tricky one and, like Meg, I can hardly believe it is 40 years since that awful disaster.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top