Join for free
Page 6 of 27 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 03:06 PM

Re: Pies, pies and more pies

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Okay ... I'll go sit at the back. I don't want to screw the chef.

But ... but ... I was going to ask him if it's true what me Ma always told me. Cold hands made good pastry and does Bakerman have cold hands.
Oh Oh Oh, can I answer cos I know. this one????

Cold hands do help, but keeping ingredients as cold as possible and a cold counter top ( I have granite ) and not working the pastry too much does make lighter pastry
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 03:11 PM

Thanks Missy ... there's always some truth in these nuggets of info our Ma's passed down to us isn't there.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 03:13 PM

Thanks Missy ... there's always some truth in these nuggets of info our Ma's passed down to us isn't there.

Another one which Ive found to be true, it not to make pavlova if theres rain. Seriously they don't come out the same, always bleedin well crack. Taste good, but you need so much extra cream to hold it together lol
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 03:16 PM

baker man tell me how u make your apple pie pastry ''if only to pinch it --and try … I have so many fruit trees at the moment just laden with fruit -so I need a simple easy short crust pastry menu …….if u wanna put it in my msg page ,,
Mel15
Nowhere

09-08-2018, 03:31 PM

Well I'm a snob so I'm going to ponder some vol au vents pies.

They become pies if you pop the lids back on
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Another one which Ive found to be true, it not to make pavlova if theres rain. Seriously they don't come out the same, always bleedin well crack. Taste good, but you need so much extra cream to hold it together lol
I never knew that, but you're right:

https://www.taste.com.au/baking/arti...vlova/vrI3uxcZ

Make pavlovas on dry days with low humidity and no rain – any moisture in the air can stop your mixture from aerating.
Mel15
Nowhere

09-08-2018, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I never knew that, but you're right:

https://www.taste.com.au/baking/arti...vlova/vrI3uxcZ

Now thats the weirdest

Cos I heard that one when I came to live here, the wettest part of the UK

And Pavlova is the favourite dessert - its on every menu - and I never made them till I started cooking for a living here
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
AYSA, here is my recipe for Lemon Meringue Pie.

well here goes:

Follow directions for my blind baked single crust, pie crust (above)

Pre-heat oven to 350 F. (175 C.)

Make meringue 1st and set aside (not in refrigerator)

3 large egg whites, must be at room temp.
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 TBLSP of sugar
1/2 tsp of pure vanilla

***Ultra important*** All utensils must be squeeky clean.
The egg whites can not have even a hint of yolk.
The egg beaters must be squeeky clean. Never let your egg whites come in contact with any plastic. Especially not the folding spatula. ***

Put egg whites, cream of tartar, sugar and vanilla into a stainless steel, or large china bowl (never plastic).

Using an electric mixer, slowly build up speed until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

2 cups water
6 TBLSP of corn starch
1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (need to be ripe and soft)
1 cup + 1 TBLSP of sugar
4 large egg yolks
3 TBLSP of butter

combine, water, corn starch, lemon juice, sugar and butter in a medium pot. Heat, over med-low heat, stirring constantly, with a wire whip. until mixture becomes thickened and is slightly bubbling.

Have your yolks in a medium small bowl. Stirring constantly, add about 1/2 cup of the thickened corn starch mix. This will "temper" the yolks. Pour back into the corn starch mixture and slowly heat until it begins to boil slightly, cook 1 more minute.

Pour immediately hot filling into your pre-baked pie shell. level out.
Immediately add the meringue on top of the lemon filling. Pile high to the center. Ultra important: seal the meringue very well to the pie crust edges. This will prevent the meringue from shrinking during baking.

Bake for aprox for 11-13 minutes OR until meringue peaks are nicely, slightly browned.

Tips for a beautiful baked meringue. Just prior to baking, after you have piled your meringue high in the center, use the back of a dinner spoon to tap and lift up little peaks.(see photo)
Looks and sounds delicious - I love Lemon meringue pie.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
People, British people, have given me nothing but grief regarding what bacon is, what a sandwich is, and now Galty gave me a hard time about what a pie is. ie us "colonials" couldn't possible know as much as a Brit. You just did it TWICE !

Well - I am not British - I am Irish - and I appreciate your recipes and am looking forward to the challenge in the sandwich thread!
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 08:58 PM

Any one for a Wigan kebab?

Page 6 of 27 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top