Join for free
Page 8 of 27 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:36 PM

Re: Pies, pies and more pies

I did ask ages ago if bakerman knew about pork pies???????
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I did ask ages ago if bakerman knew about pork pies???????
Oops ! Sorry, you got lost in the shuffle. I don't recall every making or eating a pork pie. Are they baked in a pan with sloping sides or are they baked more like a shepherd's "pie" ?

Do they have a pastry crust or a mashed potato topping ?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:46 PM

Has anyone mentioned mince pies?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Problem: Forfar bridies are indeed a pastry, but they are not pies. .
That was not my point.
Never mind.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:49 PM

Oops ! Sorry, you got lost in the shuffle. I don't recall every making or eating a pork pie. Are they baked in a pan with sloping sides or are they baked more like a shepherd's "pie" ?

Do they have a pastry crust or a mashed potato topping ?
No, they are made with hot water pastry.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:55 PM

No, they are made with hot water pastry.
Here's it's cousin, the Gala Pie:

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

11-08-2018, 12:03 AM

I have the recipe for both.
Just ask.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 12:18 AM

Ah Ha. I would call them something other than a pie, because of the way they are baked. The pork "pie" looks like it may have been baked in a vertical sided pan. The other appears to be baked "free-form".

In either case, neither appears to be a true pie. As I previously stated a "true pie" is always baked in a sloped sided pan.

The common man/woman often misuses words, no matter what country they come from.

A chef does not have that luxury, and must be extremely precise in his/her use of words which describe foods.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

11-08-2018, 12:23 AM

Ah Ha. I would call them something other than a pie, because of the way they are baked. The pork "pie" looks like it may have been baked in a vertical sided pan. The other appears to be baked "free-form".

In either case, neither appears to be a true pie. As I previously stated a "true pie" is always baked in a sloped sided pan.

The common man/woman often misuses words, no matter what country they come from.

A chef does not have that luxury, and must be extremely precise in his/her use of words which describe foods.
Aww, Bless I trained as a chef too.
bakerman
Mexico

11-08-2018, 12:32 AM

Aww, Bless I trained as a chef too.
No problem, Sweetie Pie. We will just have to agree to disagree.

I am reminded of the great chili argument within the U.S.

Depending upon where you are from, determines what you will call chili. A Texan would never agree that a chili has vegetables or beans in it. And, moreover, if it does not make you break out in a serious sweat, it is not chili.

A Californian, however, would call Chili con carne y frijoles, real chili.

(singing) "And the beat goes on".

Page 8 of 27 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top