Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 11:48 AM

Re: Dangerous cycling law.

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
On a very rare occasion I have to agree with UJ and would even go further by them having to have a road fund licence displayed on the bike. Why should they be allowed to use our roads without contributing to is maintenance.
They do contribute.

Registration, some sort of ID plate? I'd willingly comply with that or any other any law put on riding a bike. However, a drawback of introducing any cycling laws might be that cyclists will take to using their cars instead of riding bikes. Love or loathe them, an adult cyclist represents one less car on the road.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Unfortunately, the law doesn't go far enough. Three pedestrians sadly died last year and 108 were seriously injured due to dangerous cycling. I doubt this law will stop cyclists jumping red lights just if they kill someone.
Laws might help but probably won't eradicate the problem. I heard on the News earlier that 0.6% of pedestrian deaths/injuries were caused by cyclists. The other 99.4% by motorists, even though there are laws designed to preserve the safety of pedestrians.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
What? Did a cyclist mistake you for a bike rack?

Isn't that what Bottoms are designed for?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 08:57 PM

I got off a bus last year and before I had even put my other foot on the pavement a speeding cyclist just missed me by a whisker. I shouted out after him and he stopped further up and shouted "Come on then!!". I started walking towards him and he sped off down a side street. I looked for him but couldn't find him. Good thing I hadn't tbh as he and/or his bike would have ended up rather bent and squashed.

As with those idjits cycling with passengers on their handlebars and those riding out at night without lights in dark clothes, the police should take their bikes off them, smash them with a sledgehammer and make them walk home.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Doesn't go far enough, there should be an explicit law banning cyclists from riding on the pavement, with even heavier fines when caught doing so. Cyclists need to be 'registered' and insured, so that anyone injured by a 'careless' cyclist can (a) report them, (b) claim compensation if injured by a 'careless' cyclist. just like any other road user.
Totally agree with you UJ.
Years back a cyclist jumped a red light, ran into the side of my car and caused £500 of damage.
No way could I trace the guy or hold him to account. It was either pay the £500 myself for the repairs, or lose the no claims. It's a bloody farce.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:05 PM

What about this Floydy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPMXt9Me_Fo
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:09 PM

My problem with cyclists is that they ride on the paths where we walk. I'm an old guy, deaf in one ear, so I don't hear them coming. More than once I have nearly been hit. If they had a bell that problem would be resolved at a stroke.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:24 PM

Besoeker, I cycle, infrequently of late, but, am respectful of everyone around me, in this case it seems the majority give the minority a bad reputation.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Besoeker, I cycle, infrequently of late, but, am respectful of everyone around me, in this case it seems the majority give the minority a bad reputation.
True,

Going simply by experience, the good cyclists are a minority.
Most of them are a bloody menace.

The other thing I dislike, is that many appear to "want" confrontation with motorists. Almost any excuse to have a go.
Then, when the motorist retaliates, it's all boo hoo and the fault of the motorist.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

12-08-2018, 09:37 PM

fender, I tend not to ring my bell in-case I startle someone.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Possibly true but I've never heard any ring a bell to warn me of their approach. My dog, with his much better hearing, is usually the early warning.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top