Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:46 PM

Re: Dangerous cycling law.

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
fender, I tend not to ring my bell in-case I startle someone.
Good man Spit......

I doubt you're one of the plonka's anyway.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:48 PM

What about this Floydy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPMXt9Me_Fo
Haha! That was Pink Floyd's "Frog Chorus" moment I think, Fender. Or perhaps Bowie's "Laughing Gnome". Every band has a blip amongst their otherwise fabulous repertoir!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:54 PM

basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 05:20 AM

All cyclist's in the country lanes should be given a very slight nudge with the front wing of the car sending them into a convenient Blackberry bush IMO.

Not really folks
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 07:32 AM

I've found that ringing the bell can alarm people, even though it's one of those that just gives a solitary 'ding'. It's not often necessary to use it though because I don't ride where pedestrians are.

About the only place is along our local canal towpath where cycling is allowed. Even then, I tend not to use the bell for that reason. The answer for me it to have a noisy bike where the saddlebag and various bits and pieces rattle around like mad.

People nearly always hear a gentle build up of noise as I get closer. They turn around, see me, let me pass and I thank them nicely.

Some people can get a bit annoyed with being 'belled'. I think that could be because it's kind of like saying, "Get out of the way, I'm coming through." Damned if you ring it and damned if you don't sometimes.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 07:36 AM

Sometimes, extraordinary interpersonal skills are required, to complete a five mile rural cycle ride, it's easier to be a giver, not a taker.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 07:46 AM

Sometimes, extraordinary interpersonal skills are required, to complete a five mile rural cycle ride, it's easier to be a giver, not a taker.
That's about my level these days since my brother had to give up riding. In fact, walking is more the enjoyment and exercise these days. I might try and get out on the bike a bit more now the weather has cooled.

You are right about bike riding. A good way of putting it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 08:34 AM

A lot do Tara .
But that doesn't help perdestrans when they come up so quickly and quietly behind you .
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 01:44 PM

Better startle them and make them aware of your presence than than have them wander into your way or you theirs. At least you have a bell. That seems rare these days.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 02:12 PM

I see grown men cycling on the pavements.

It should be treated like drink driving in my opinion.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top