Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 06:07 PM

Re: Real books vs e books?

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Paper for me.. E books are not for me I have a slight problem with my eyes and that means staring at a screen for a longer time is just out of the question, I even had to abandon a forum I used to post on because they changed the site and the new layout (?) background was so bright I couldnt cope with it for more than 30 seconds at a time.
Where you using an e-ink device like the kindle or something like the iPad or a tablet? Tablets use LCD screens which are not good to read on. e-ink devices are the best - no retina burning brightness, blue light, or flicker.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 06:14 PM

I can alter the colour and brightness on my iPad. At sunset the display changes automatically to a warmer hue which is easier on the eyes
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Where you using an e-ink device like the kindle or something like the iPad or a tablet? Tablets use LCD screens which are not good to read on. e-ink devices are the best - no retina burning brightness, blue light, or flicker.
No just my desk top.. I wasn't the only one who had problems but the owner of the site just said we should adjust our screens each time we logged in .. I didn't bother logging in again.

I have graves disease which makes my eyes light sensitive.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I can alter the colour and brightness on my iPad. At sunset the display changes automatically to a warmer hue which is easier on the eyes
I also have that on my iPad Air 2, Rehab ..... it's so much easier on your eyes isn't it.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 07:27 PM

The difference when it switches over at sunset is quite surprising
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
The difference when it switches over at sunset is quite surprising
It's almost like being in another world!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 11:35 PM

A friend said she loves her kindle because she can store so many books on it but you still can't take it on the beach and not worry if sand gets in between the pages. Or hold it in the bath until the corners curl up. What about recharging? I get so mad having to keep recharging stuff and not being able to find the right cable when you need it (or getting cables all tangled - that's the worst).

There is something that makes reading on screen more stressful. I don't understand how a computer screen works. I do remember learning how the image on a tv works and it involves constant movement of light, so quick that it's indiscernible to the brain. You get used to it if you have to use a computer to work, but maybe that makes reading a book this way a less relaxing experience. A bit too much for our brains to deal with.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 06:15 AM

Proper books for me every time. I just love them.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 10:14 AM

I love my Kindle. In fact I have 2 of them. As others have already said, there are many advantages over a tree destroyed for the paper of a book.
OK I do very occasionally read a paper book if it is given to me.
Before the Kindle, I had other devices that I could read ebooks on.
I always found places were I could find free books. 'Cough', even some of the latest ones.
Yea I know it was naughty.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I love my Kindle, and do almost all of my reading on it now

It can hold thousands of books and is so light and handy. I can make highlights or notes and even see highlights that other people have made. I can increase or decrease the text size.
All in all I just love my Kindle and couldn't go back to paper books now unless they contained illustrations or art.
This is a good point. The type can be enlarged for anyone who has difficulty reading a paper book due to cataracts etc.

As for the highlights, I have to admit that I sometimes don't understand why a particular sentence is highlighted.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top