Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 08:54 AM

A walk along the canal towpath

The Basingstoke Canal is within striking distance for us and we often go for a walk along the towpath. These are some photos from our walk yesterday.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 09:09 AM

Re: A walk along the canal towpath

Lovely pics Mart. Sometimes it's lovely to walk alongside a canal. The only thing I don't like about canals is when they disappear into along tunnel. I don't think I could go through one.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 09:22 AM

I lived in b/stoke once Mart as you may know - but never did walk along it's canal - I did drink at it's original Barge Inn, which I understand was once situated close to the canal. Oh my god the tears have started welling up!

my romantic canal walking days was in Cheshire - but that's another story altogether - was never a collector of snaps but now wished I had!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Lovely pics Mart. Sometimes it's lovely to walk alongside a canal. The only thing I don't like about canals is when they disappear into along tunnel. I don't think I could go through one.
There is a 1125 metre long tunnel just before Basingstoke. It's one of those where people had to lay on the barge and use their feet to 'walk' the barge along the bricks. It's a long time since the canal was used as a transport route. The tunnel has become blocked and I think it's a bat sanctuary now.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
There is a 1125 metre long tunnel just before Basingstoke. It's one of those where people had to lay on the barge and use their feet to 'walk' the barge along the bricks. It's a long time since the canal was used as a transport route. The tunnel has become blocked and I think it's a bat sanctuary now.
Just the sound of '1125 metres' worries me.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

24-07-2018, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I lived in b/stoke once Mart as you may know - but never did walk along it's canal - I did drink at it's original Barge Inn, which I understand was once situated close to the canal. Oh my god the tears have started welling up!

my romantic canal walking days was in Cheshire - but that's another story altogether - was never a collector of snaps but now wished I had!
I've only visited that part of the towpath a few times, so don't know the Barge Inn. I'll have to take another trip that way. I've been as far as the tunnel and to Odiham Castle ruins, which is just off the towpath. It's said that King John stopped there on his way to sign the Magna Carta. A bit before the canal was built of course.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 10:19 AM

It all looks lovely and green Mart That image is disappearing fast and so many beautiful spots are now dusty and brown.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 11:12 AM

Brilliant photos Mart and I bet it was nice and cool under the trees. I love following the towpaths of canals, especially disused ones. I used to drive over a bridge at Worksop quite often when I was a courier, I'd sit up in my seat to view the canal and towpath that passed under it. I dreamed that one day I would walk along that towpath, and after I retired I did.

After some research it turned out that there was a walk along the entire length of the canal from West Stockwith where it joins the river Trent, all the way to Chesterfield some 45 miles to the west called 'The Cuckoo Way'. I started off doing ten mile chunks, but finished off doing the last seventeen miles in one lump. It was better than I expected and look forward to having another go. Just looking at your photos and writing this post has motivated me into making plans......
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've only visited that part of the towpath a few times, so don't know the Barge Inn. I'll have to take another trip that way. I've been as far as the tunnel and to Odiham Castle ruins, which is just off the towpath. It's said that King John stopped there on his way to sign the Magna Carta. A bit before the canal was built of course.
he did - I was with him!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

24-07-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Brilliant photos Mart and I bet it was nice and cool under the trees. I love following the towpaths of canals, especially disused ones. I used to drive over a bridge at Worksop quite often when I was a courier, I'd sit up in my seat to view the canal and towpath that passed under it. I dreamed that one day I would walk along that towpath, and after I retired I did.

After some research it turned out that there was a walk along the entire length of the canal from West Stockwith where it joins the river Trent, all the way to Chesterfield some 45 miles to the west called 'The Cuckoo Way'. I started off doing ten mile chunks, but finished off doing the last seventeen miles in one lump. It was better than I expected and look forward to having another go. Just looking at your photos and writing this post has motivated me into making plans......
isn't there still barge holidays for let ??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top