Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 11:32 AM

Re: A walk along the canal towpath

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
isn't there still barge holidays for let ??
Unfortunately the canal is not continuous like the walk Gumbud, some of the canal has fallen into disrepair, and a long tunnel blocked up. They also built a motorway over the top (the M1) and neglected to join up both sides of the canal.
However, during my walk I was pleased to see that there were sections being renovated, and perhaps one day it might once again provide a link between the river Trent and Chesterfield...
Sableline
Durham,uk
Sableline is male  Sableline has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 12:54 PM

Lovely photo. I enjoy a walk alongside a canal especially the one at Ripon in North Yorkshire. There always seem to be lovely people who like to sit and chat. It's so serene and peaceful.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 12:57 PM

yep that is old england for sure!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Lovely photo's Mart, it looks so cool & green & shady there.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Lovely photo's Mart, it looks so cool & green & shady there.
It is ..and I think being next to water might add to keeping the immediate area cooler. I expect water from the canal keeps everything green around it. I suspect the clay bed probably allows some water to leak out.

Just to the other side of the towpath at one point is a park and this is one of the fields:

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Just to the other side of the towpath at one point is a park and this is one of the fields:
We grumble about the rain don't we but I miss it and the cool green woods...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It is ..and I think being next to water might add to keeping the immediate area cooler. I expect water from the canal keeps everything green around it. I suspect the clay bed probably allows some water to leak out.

We all badly need rain.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 05:22 PM

Lovely pics of a lovely subject. There is always something calming about a canal.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top