Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 11:37 AM

Re: Dumb Waiter

Originally Posted by Realist ->
In certain professions, the tips are accepted as an integral part of the wages. If the employer knows that employees will regularly receive plenty of tips then the basic wages are adjusted accordingly. Restaurants are an example of that but an even bigger one is cruising line staff. The many 1000s of gallant cabin stewards and restaurant waiters on cruise ships get a huge amount in tips.
I notice that overseas cruise brochures have a 10% surcharge for tips which you can pay before hand or once on board however not in god's own country, in fact it is illegal to add tips as part of the price.

No tipping on cruises out of Australia (I wonder if they pay the crew more).
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Only in America is tippng part of the cost of a meal, too bad if the meal is horrible they still expect a tip. Thank goodness here in the UK it is still optional and usually only given for good service
That is how I feel too! Some here used to call it "service charge" ( usually around 10%) so I asked what service charge was for & was told it was to cover the cost of the waiters.
I told them it was their choice to have waiters, so if I went to the kitchen to collect my own dinner would I still have to pay it! They said "Oh yes, the payment isn't optional". I replied " But eating at this restaurant is optional & I have no idea whether the the staff get the 10%...after all I was making the payment to the restaurant, not in cash to the waiter!" I then left the restaurant and went to eat elsewhere, in a place where I could award a tip to any member of staff that gave good service!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I notice that overseas cruise brochures have a 10% surcharge for tips which you can pay before hand or once on board however not in god's own country, in fact it is illegal to add tips as part of the price.

No tipping on cruises out of Australia (I wonder if they pay the crew more).
that has always been optional on the cruise ships we have been on
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 04:33 PM

This is true .
Americans put their hand out for tips for the least service .
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I hoped they sacked him?
Yep, he got "The Tin Tack". Also the customer banned, has been invited back for a freebie meal. No doubt the customer concerned, I would imagine, would have threatened loads of legal action against both the restaurant, and this would be hero.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/23/waiter...er-restaurant/
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
If I go into a restaurant I will only leave a tip if the service I have received is very good.....and only I can judge that!
The waiter/waitress is paid to do their job, so unless I receive very good service I see no reason to reward them.
If the restaurant don't pay good wages they should put up the price of the food they sell, then use the profit to pay all staff more.... but they wont do that because they are afraid that less people will come through the door. If they serve good food, at a fair price, they can pay a reasonable wage to staff...and the ones who give their customers a reason to come back can be rewarded by their tip!

Tips should never be part of their wage, they should be a reward for the additional good service you have given!

The man in this thread didn't deserve to even have a job if that is how he treats customers!
Idon't know how things are now, but whenever I have been in the US it's really rude not to tip even if you have the worst service.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by John ->
Yep, he got "The Tin Tack". Also the customer banned, has been invited back for a freebie meal. No doubt the customer concerned, I would imagine, would have threatened loads of legal action against both the restaurant, and this would be hero.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/23/waiter...er-restaurant/
money talks and all that...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top