Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 04:37 PM

Re: Computer tech help needed

This may be a really, really stupid question but, is there any reason why I can not just have a USb wire going from my laptop to the TV ?

Before my HDMI port on the laptop broke, all I need to do was plug a HDMI wire into the HDMI port on my laptop and then run that wire directly to the HDMI port on my TV. Instant success. No muss. No fuss.

Couldn't I do the same thing with a USb wire from laptop to TV ?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Couldn't I do the same thing with a USb wire from laptop to TV ?
No, not a standard USB, which is purely data only. I hear there's a new type of USB called USB-C (or Thunderbolt 3 port) which can send "live" video to an external display. I've yet to come across anyone that has a laptop with that type of socket though. The icon next to the socket has the letters USB superimposed on a TV screen as well as a sort of lightning bolt just beside the TV.

When you say F4 isn't working, for functions like Second Screen the option printed on the key is usually in blue or purple text. If this is the case, pressing F4 alone won't access that function. Hold down the blue/purple FN key and then press F4, and see if that makes a difference.
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 05:36 PM

Just get a Chromecast. Forget cables & wires. Use Bluetooth.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 07:36 PM

I'm still looking into Chromecast. I am a bit concerned because it looks very, very complicated. (downloading an app etc etc)
bakerman
Mexico

28-07-2018, 08:08 PM

Hello Tachyon,
I tried your suggestion. It does not work.

1.) I have an fn key on my laptop but it's not blue/purple (just grey like all the other keys).

2.) with the USb adapter plugged in, a HDMI wire plugged into that, with the other end of the wire connected to a HDMI port on the TV this is what happens.

3.) Laptop is playing a netflix movie. The TV is turned on and the TV input is set at a HDMI input.

4.) I press and hold down the fn key then click on the f4 key. The TV stays dark
If, however, I click on the f4 key only, I see a side screen (on the laptop screen). Side screen shows me several options: PC screen, or duplicate or extend or second screen only.

5.) I highlight the "duplicate" , hold down the fn key and click on the f4 key. Tv stays dark. I do the same with all the other options, one at a time. TV stays dark.

PS, if I highlight and click on the "second screen only" the laptop goes dark and the only way to get it back up and running is to remove the battery, wait 5 minutes and then reinsert the Batt.
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 08:15 PM

I'm still looking into Chromecast. I am a bit concerned because it looks very, very complicated. (downloading an app etc etc)

There is a Chromecast app readily available for both Apple and Android.
For Windows I guess you would just Google it.

In our house. We have 3 TVs. 2 Chromecast. 2 Amazon Firesticks. Netflix, Now TV, 2 Freesat boxes.

Oh! And something called....er....BBC!
bakerman
Mexico

28-07-2018, 08:34 PM

My neighbor says I might have to "update the driver" to get it to work. Whatever that means. I sure don't know.
Jeez, this is sure getting complicated

In the long run, it may be cheaper to buy a new laptop and throw this one away. I may beat it to dead first. ha ha ha
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 09:12 PM

My neighbor says I might have to "update the driver" to get it to work. Whatever that means. I sure don't know.
Jeez, this is sure getting complicated

In the long run, it may be cheaper to buy a new laptop and throw this one away. I may beat it to dead first. ha ha ha
Updating a driver is FREE!

Buying a new laptop is EXPENSIVE!

I know which I'd go for.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 09:26 PM

There are times when it's best to find a reputable local computer repairer. They have the advantage of being able to take a look at the computer and give an opinion.
bakerman
Mexico

28-07-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Updating a driver is FREE!

Buying a new laptop is EXPENSIVE!

I know which I'd go for.

yeah, you may be right. but I'll have to hire someone to update the driver. Even then, God knows if it will work.?

If I had known that I needed to be a rocket scientist in order to deal with all the super complicated systems on a PC, I'd never have bought the **** thing. Grrrrr.

Mother of God, talk about stress.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top