Join for free
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 01:24 PM

Television issues

I've only had the TV since the end of May but have had a few issues which I wouldn't expect from Sony (one of the few big names who actually make their own TVs unlike a rebadged Vestel from Turkey or Slovakia).

It started with the guide being incredibly slow or taking a few presses to get working. Then there was the problem of the TV not recognising my wi-fi, but seeing my phone's hotspot (I gave up on that and just bought a Fire Stick for catch-up services).

Recently, though, it stopped recording timed programmes. I noticed this when coming out of hospital that a few films I had set to record weren't there.

So today I tethered the TV to my iPhone's hot spot and downloaded and installed an update. This changed a few things, but to make sure I did a factory re-set of the TV.

I can now record programmes again. And the illuminated area is now white whilst watching (it used to be orange), orange on standby, which makes sense and red while recording as it should be. The interface is more fluid, too and there is little lag.

I had no idea that a TV could come with so many problems, but I suppose it is basically a computer with a screen attached. I think I expected it to be perfect straight out of the box. Ideally, it will last me several years - it was £319 from Argos. I know there are much bigger, shinier models for not a lot more money (32" isn't a normal size anymore and sellers are shipping larger and larger TVs).
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 05:05 AM

Re: Television issues

It's only going to get worse. The more "intelligent" a device is, the more trouble it causes.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top