Join for free
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 11:28 PM

the ozzie drought from the air

some regions in OZ haven't had rain for 7 yrs and farms are closing - most believe it is associated with climate change

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-aus...ries+australia
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 06:28 AM

Re: the ozzie drought from the air

wow ... love those images. They have an abstract quality.

That's the initial reaction from the artist in me.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 10:52 AM

No rain for 7 years. Bl**dy Hell! How on earth have they managed for so long. Stunning photo's though, but dreadful.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 02:18 PM

That really brings home how bad it is. I can't imaging having no rain for seven years.

When my family farmed in Oz, water for the house was brought by horse drawn tank from a windmill pump some distance away.
One of the first things my grandad did on arriving nearly 100 years ago was to dig the well and install the pump. The family could not have survived without it.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 08:44 PM

I have just seen this thread. It is absolutely amazing.
The pics are indeed incredible. But how sad.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 08:48 PM

Farmers will get up to $12,000 in cash payments to help them and their communities fight one of the worst droughts of the past century.

He described some farmers’ situations as diabolical and tragic, as they battle dry conditions across large swathes of eastern and southern Australia.

Australia's drought crisis and farmers' stories of anxiety, fear and resilience
Read more
“You put the food on our tables, the fibre that goes on our backs and we have your back,” he told reporters on Sunday.

It comes after the government in June extended the Farm Household Allowance scheme from three to four years.

The government is also changing the assets test to allow an estimated 8,000 more farmers to access support to recognise the severity of the drought. But how much difference the package will make is unclear.

Dairy farmer Ashley Gamble, from near Toowoomba in Queensland, is frightened about the future.

He said $12,000 might put food on the table for his children, but would go nowhere on the farm because it was less than the cost of a load of grain or hay.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top