Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 02:50 AM

My Most Useful Kitchen Appliance

After the microwave the kitchen appliance I use most is my Rice Cooker, more than my toaster or sandwich maker.

I have had one for decades now but before that I always used to cook rice by the absorption method on the stove top which was great except for the few occasions that I forgot it and burned the rice.

Since discovering the rice cooker - no more burned rice and so useful for steaming just about anything because if it runs out of water it turns off.

You can fry and boil (steam) eggs in it absolutely perfectly, even make Chinese pork belly or soups - a truly wonderful device.

I bulk make meals and freeze them; when I want to eat them I can make rice or boil potatoes in my rice cooker - at the same time it defrosts and warms up my frozen sauce/meat etc on a stand in the cooker. It saves money because you don't need a pot full of water - the steam does the work.

If you haven't got a rice cooker you need one!

Personally I just have a couple of small ones - Kambrook Express - which I think are a 5 cup size and only about $20. In the USA they have even smaller ones but I haven't seen any here.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 02:54 AM

Re: My Most Useful Kitchen Appliance

BTW I like brown rice but no matter which you prefer the flavour is improved if you throw in half a dozen cloves and some cardamom seeds (not pods) while it cooks. You can leave the cardamom seeds in but pick out the cloves before you eat it (I always count them to make sure I get them all)
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 06:37 AM

I love my digital pressure cooker, which I have rattled on about elsewhere. Plus I also love another recent acquisition. A non fat air frier. Which cooks fish & chips, sausages and burgers perfectly without any fat or oil!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 06:42 AM

Two things in my kitchen that would have to replaced immediately if anything went wrong with them - my blender and my butter churn.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 07:07 AM

Hi

My air fryer and my mandolin.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 07:50 AM

My slow cooker.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My air fryer and my mandolin.

Mandolin?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

04-08-2018, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
I love my digital pressure cooker, which I have rattled on about elsewhere. Plus I also love another recent acquisition. A non fat air frier. Which cooks fish & chips, sausages and burgers perfectly without any fat or oil!
I know a Chinese girl (a cook) who seems to collect air friers, I think her collection of the latter is second only to her collection of rice cookers.

Personally I will never fry in the house as long as I have my BBQ by the back door.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 08:32 AM

My slow cooker/blitzer blender/Tassimo coffee machine/toaster
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 08:40 AM

I am not a fan of having cupboards full of kitchen appliances but I do love my Kenwood Chief which takes the hard work out of baking and bread kneading. I also use the blender and mincer attachments a lot so get my moneys worth from the machine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top