Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 03:28 PM

Re: Attempted larceny !

Originally Posted by Brian 8451 ->
Hi Patsy, from what I understood when I inquired about re-glazing frames there is very little to be saved. Apparently because of the way a lens is mass produced regardless of prescription the cost is about 20pence and a frame just a few pounds. So you can see there is very little they can do to make re-glazing viable without reducing their extortionate profit margins.
Brian.
Hello Brian - well you've said it there 'Without reducing their extortionate profit margins'
Must cost a couple of quid to produce frames ....
So, £205 to provide lenses .... bloomin toffs !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 08:39 PM

Toffs indeed!
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 10:56 PM

Should have gone to Specsavers. Like UJ, I always go there.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 11:01 PM

Eyecare 4u or Specialeyes they're good, don't exist, I just made them up!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Shocking - but I have me frames, just wanted the lenses ...

I always thought it was the lenses that was the most expensive bit Patsy. The frames are for anyone, but the lenses should be tailored for your particular eye problem.
That's what was explained to me once when I wanted to keep my old frames anyway.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 11:45 PM

I've worn specs since I was 6 and can't imagine how much money I've spent on them in 60 years. My prescription is very complicated and the lenses are always horribly expensive.

The frames depend on whether you want "Gucci", "YSL" or the local generic. Mine always cost me at least $1000 (£500) even with fairly ordinary frames and what makes me really cross is that our private health here only ever pays back about $300 regardless of paying the highest premiums, whereas they pay almost all of dental, hearing aids costs etc.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2014, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I've worn specs since I was 6 and can't imagine how much money I've spent on them in 60 years. My prescription is very complicated and the lenses are always horribly expensive.

The frames depend on whether you want "Gucci", "YSL" or the local generic. Mine always cost me at least $1000 (£500) even with fairly ordinary frames and what makes me really cross is that our private health here only ever pays back about $300 regardless of paying the highest premiums, whereas they pay almost all of dental, hearing aids costs etc.
Blimey, mine cost anywhere between $250 and $500 depending on whether I have tinted or not and the cost of the frame. They are always multifocal.

I suspect it is like the dentist, as soon as you tell them that you don't have medical insurance they knock off $300 - try that next time.
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I always thought it was the lenses that was the most expensive bit Patsy. The frames are for anyone, but the lenses should be tailored for your particular eye problem.
That's what was explained to me once when I wanted to keep my old frames anyway.
Good morning Mups,
That's right your lens is made to your prescription but with modern computerized manufacturing methods production of most things have moved on a step and can now still be produced en-mass but each one different.
Hope this helps,
Brian.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2014, 11:23 AM

Wot's rong wiv Poundland then ?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2014, 11:24 AM

I bust me bifocals. Couldn't get frames anywhere and went back to wearing my old glasses ~ then decided 'sod this' and thought about how easy it is for lens to become 'marked'. Sos I got a long fine carborundum stone and in 15 mins I had reshaped them to a pair of cheap frames supplied by a friend which were too tight. Job done, and all the opticians said it couldn't be done - bar for one.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top