Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2014, 09:01 PM

Bring back the little white dot........

You know what I mean.............the little white dot we had in the middle of our old 425 line Black & white 14" telly when you turned it off.
It gradually faded, rather like tv schedules these days, faded & repeated.
With the white dot, if you hang around long enough , there was the National Anthem, NO,no BEFORE you turned off the tv, THEn you had the white dot appear & slowly fade, it was a darn sight more interesting than the garbage showing on most of 1001 channels now available.

While I'm getting on my grands chevaux, I might add the cessation of the little blue bags of salt in Smith's Crisps, was unnecessary .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2014, 09:48 PM

Re: Bring back the little white dot........

I remember that little dot staying with me all the way up to bed, even when I closed my eyes there it was it front of me.
We used to get BBC and ITV over here before we got our own station in 1961, we had to have this massive aerial attached to the chimney stack, the picture quality was woeful but it was great because it was new to us then.
At least you had a choice with the crisp salt then, they all come salted now whether you want it or not.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2014, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
At least you had a choice with the crisp salt then, they all come salted now whether you want it or not.
I'll tell you a story. I am not particularly fond of salt and never put it on or in my food.

When I first came to Australia it used to drive me up the wall that fish and chip shops and burger bars used to liberally sprinkle salt on the food whether you asked for it or not. I used to ask for 'no salt' but 9 times out of 10 it was an automatic reaction and they put salt on the food without thinking. In the end I gave up and accepted salt on such take away food (this was long before McDonalds arrived).

When I visited England recently I thought the chips were bloody awful and it was only after a couple of such purchases that I realised the reason was - NO SALT! Doh!
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2014, 11:56 PM

When I was at college we used to switch the tele on to see the white dot, switch the light off and watch the tele. Pink Floyd/Tangerine Dream were playing and you could see all sorts on the screen.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 03:27 AM

I don't miss the little white dot at all. Those TVs took ages to warm up, had to be manually tuned and the British 405 line system was really crap (the disadvantage of being first).

I never realised how bad until I worked at Tolsford Hill Radio Station on the Kent coast and we used to get the French pictures via the Eurovision link. From memory they had a 525 line standard which we downgraded to our system initially by refilming it then later electronically.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 09:27 AM

I have a white dot but its at the bottom of my TV and not on the screen. I aim the remote at it and it turns off immediately or for some reason it sometimes stays on for a while. Do you think it knows about the old white spot
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 09:40 AM

One could stare at the Red standby button on your Sky HD Box, or DVD player for a while, it's not White, and it's not in the center of the screen granted, but that's progress for you, this could be deemed as "outside the box thinking".
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 09:49 AM

I have a Toshiba television that doesn't have an 'off' button on the set itself - I use the 'off' button on the remote control instead. Saves me getting out of my chair and walking across the room to switch it off.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
When I was at college we used to switch the tele on to see the white dot, switch the light off and watch the tele. Pink Floyd/Tangerine Dream were playing and you could see all sorts on the screen.
Like your taste in music
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 10:23 AM

Will these do RJ - not white dots I know, but mustn't discriminate ......
.................................................. ................

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top