Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2014, 07:58 AM

Re: Texting

I can't text either. I understand the principle but my phone seems to have a mind of its own and predictive text throws up all sorts of rubbish. I get frustrated and in the end I give up. If anything's that urgent then I use the phone to talk on.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2014, 08:42 AM

I used to use texts for non-urgent messages - then my mobile reverted to using predictive text for some reason - I loathe that but cannot find how to switch it off again. Does anyone think throwing it at the wall might help?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2014, 09:51 AM

It's worth a try ST. lol
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2014, 10:46 AM

Don't know what mobile you have Robert but you go into Menu
then you see an envelope click into that mine says
Write new select that then it says Message, select that
and you should have a blank space and that's where you use
the text. When you have done your one word or more
press Continue and it asks you where you want to send it and should
also give you your contact list. Then you are away with the text.

p.s. Silver, just do what I did when Predictive came on mine,
I grabbed a kid and asked him to do it for me and know I would do the same if for some reason it went back to that. What a waste of time Predictive is.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
p.s. Silver, just do what I did when Predictive came on mine,
I grabbed a kid ...:
I could be arrested for doing that !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I agree Alan, and by the way Meg you can turn off predictive text, I did because it drove me bonkers, always ending up as gibberish. (Nothing new there then some might say)
I know I can Barry but most of the time it is fine except if I am in a hurry and don't check my message

My family are all aware of my 'funny ways'
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2014, 11:57 AM

I think texting is very useful I hate talking to people on the phone and they always seem to ring at an inconvenient time eg when I am in the shower or eating and living alone there is no one else to take the call .
Texting means I never miss a call and can reply at my leisure .
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2014, 11:57 AM

Bowie, you lost me after MENU.

Anyway I don't possess a mobile phone. I think that folks look ridiculous shopping in sainsburys with mobile in hand discussing the price of cauliflower with ,presumably, their partner snug and warm at home.

Last week in our local church I counted 12 of the congregation texting during the sermon. There were probably more but I fell asleep before I could finish counting.

My grampy used to say if you can't get to sleep counting sheep, cast your gaze on the SHEPHERD.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I've never used predictive texting as I found that it actually slowed me down having to keep correcting things.
My Samsung Galaxy is brilliant at predictive text often knows the word I want before I start writing it so it is just a matter of tapping on the word (it usually offers three). I find it much quicker because if you use it you don't have to type half the words or put the space in.

If it doesn't know which word you want you just ignore it and type away. So good.

As for holding the phone in the supermarket? Of course I do it has my shopping list on it - as well as my diary, train, bus, ferry timetables, street directory, GPS, alarm clock and heaps of other information I need - Keys... wallet... phone... flies... the four essentials to check before going out.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2014, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My Samsung Galaxy is brilliant at predictive text often knows the word I want before I start writing it so it is just a matter of tapping on the word (it usually offers three). I find it much quicker because if you use it you don't have to type half the words or put the space in.
I don't have that phone but I too use predictive text and find it easier that all that tapping to get the letter I want.
It saves all the regular words you use too like names and places, I have no problem with it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top