Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.
tomtwodogs is male  tomtwodogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 06:41 AM

Re: Fishermens tales

Maggots are about £2 a pint these days, but I rarely use them now, I use Carp ( wheat ) pellets instead as they keep for months, i don't know if you have ever used them but they are very good, you put them into a little water pump fill with water,and they float, then you pump the air out creating a vacuum till they sink , then they are ready to go onto the hook, most fish will take them including Tench Roach, Bream, and others , yeah old age i refuse to accept, i still ride a bike too. i have a Dawes Galaxy, and a Hybrid, i did the Devon coast to coast last year, Ilfracombe harbour, to Plymouth, crossing Dartmoor, 112 miles, and mainly off road following disused railway lines, converted into cycle tracks, and the Tarka trail. so not many hills only gradients, Sustrans route 27 ! ..it was lovely camping out. and got the train back to Barnstaple ( with bike ) £19.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2016, 06:51 PM

Hi Tom....admit I have never heard of such carp pellets, will take a look. Been out of the Coarse Fishing side for years around the year Mountbatten was killed. Other than the odd couple of hours on a very small river/stream, really was just fishable and at most some 18" deep. Still the little swim in the little stream has now been totally trashed by the Envioronmental Agency and in effect no longer exists. Shame as I caught many chub up to 5lb, but lost many more and a few other unseen things.

I miss the West Country and the walks, loved them as they always made me feel like I had returned home.
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.
tomtwodogs is male  tomtwodogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 08:14 AM

Aaw yes the west country has so much to offer, its a lovely morning here not a cloud in the sky, a bit chilly as yet but with the promise of a lovely day, yes have a look at those Carp pellets, they come in various sizes, but I usually stick to 4mm or 6mm as most other species will take them, I have even had Gudgeon and Dace with them and like I said,. they will keep well into the next year, but you would need to buy the little pump, about £10 at most tackle shops, also buy a bag of smaller feeder pellets ( £1 ) 2mm to 4mm and just feed them two or three at a time round your hook, deadly !
anyway I am just getting ready to go to Fremington Quay, ( near Bideford) and try my hand with some rag worm .. if the crabs don't get to em first.. lol
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2016, 01:31 PM

Hi Tom

This thread gets kinda lost and forgotten in the joke threads.

So how did you get on, what did you catch to take home

Our beach is alas bland and boring . Still the nearest pier keeps busy with fisherman, nice to see even if they are mainly Eastern Europeans. Have to pay of course, what is left that is free?
Only time I ever see them catch anything is after a real big blow, then those fishing close shore pick up.
Noted your pellets, and as posted must make the effort next year, all being well. I think Ollie Kite died on the river bank and a man has to die somewhere, some when, so why not there.
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.

23-10-2016, 03:38 PM

I blanked this trip if you discount green crabs !! lol,. Fremington Quay is on a sandy tidal estuary just below Instowe and Appledore and on the Tarka trail where I often ride my bike, so I fished from the shore about a couple of hundred yards from the walkers and cyclists Café, then popped in for a hot drink and a sandwich after, but it was nice being there but I have to say,.. round one to the fish this time aaaw !.. but next time !!
dukeofearl
south coast uk

27-10-2016, 10:03 AM

Smashing new avatar Tom, dead jealous I can tell you. Reminds me of our river Adur and days spinning for Bass.
The Adur was featured this week on TV , "Inside Out". If I dug rag from the banks I would be pounced on, no problem.

Now we have this ruddy lot trashing the place and doing as they please

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14821...mentSort=score

Anyway added to my book collection this week, your mate Chris Yates, Casting into the Sun. Wanted to buy a book called "Big Roach", still on Ebay at £49 each but sold out

So looked on Amazon, they have a few sellers at £1,600 each ! Yep you read it correct, who the hell buys this stuff !!!
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.

27-10-2016, 11:54 AM

I just read your link about the cockle pickers it seems they cant prosecute them because they cant prove they are selling em on. ( as if lol ) Strewth that's a lot to pay for a book, its well outta my reach Mike,. What avatar ? do you mean my profile pic,? that is Ilfracombe harbour where I spend a lot of time I sometimes fish from the harbour wall there. Hey I read somewhere that you have been playing up on some of your posts, I guess before long I will be joining you in the naughty corner lol
dukeofearl
south coast uk

27-10-2016, 03:42 PM

Naa Tom, no problem. You just stay close and I will lead you through the Valley of Death. While my wife will not go fishing, she loves this place so much she tells me that she is going to join. Good for her says I, get your new lap-top out girl

Was going into Arundel today, on the banks of the Arun. Some real chunky Bass come up there. My local town.
But sods law the Cluster Migraine kicked off with a vengeance , really annoying.
So guess I will stay off here toaday, a rest is good and my absence gives them some time to really appreciate me.

Strange some of your pictures like the sunset at the "Valley of the Rocks" etc are identical to those I took with my £2-50 camera best part of 50 years ago. I can still hear the Cuckoo that was singing in the "Valley of the Rocks", the echo was amazing.

Still better days, Scampi in a basket was a big treat. Real basket in those days. Now a health hazzard so they say, how the hell did we manage to survive.
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.

27-10-2016, 04:20 PM

Aaw sorry to hear you suffer from migraine Mike, I aint had that since I was a kid and it isn't very nice is it, I remember I used to crawl under a drop leaf table to get away from the light and noise and curl up to sleep,. I hope you are better soon ! I have two mates from around your area Bognor, a married couple who I spend most xmas,s with in a Torquay Hotel, same this xmas, they are a right laugh. Yes the valley of the rocks is lovely to capture a pic of the sun taking its evening dip into the sea, we are blessed with a western view, I have taken many, and the goats are still there and thriving, good on your wife for joining too, although you will have to watch out for the ladies eh. take care mate,..speak soon !
dukeofearl
south coast uk

30-10-2016, 03:56 PM

Hi Tom, sorry so long in reply. Still got the on/off ruddy head ache.

Bognor, now that is a place I visit very little due to its run down state. Great shame it is so neglected and tacky. I feel sorry for folk who book into Butlins there. Still each to their own I guess, who am I to say. Beats me why, out of all Sussex towns the IRA let of a bomb there, perhaps they were as happy with the "Fish and Chips" as I was

Your Christmas times sound great. I have come to hate Christmas as every year it has been us who has the Mother-in-Law stay. Will not go into detail but it was not good . However we now have her in a care home. Just wish my wife would cut down on the grub.

Hope you are ok.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top