Join for free
Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2011, 07:10 PM

Re: Unwanted Phone Calls

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
At home if I know it is an unsolicited call from a company selling I simply say hold on a moment and go away leaving the phone off the hook. I then come back 5 minutes later and replace the receiver.

If you get stressed Mollie, best not to get involved. Just say Mr/Mrs..... (boss) is not taking any calls today, listen briefly to what they say and then say "no thank you" and hang up.
When I say I get stressed at work, it would be more accurate to say that I get frustrated, especially when they continue to talk despite protests. I can't slam the phone down on them. I'm not the only one in the company that gets aggravated by it all. I have, in the past, managed to say, politely, I'm sorry but I won't put you through and I'm hanging up now as the other line is ringing and it's probably a customer.

It's not always that easy though. One day somebody rang that I knew the boss wouldn't want to speak to, so I went through my usual spiel of saying that he doesn't take cold calls but please free to email him and if it was something of interest, my boss would call them back. The caller insisted I put him through and I told him I couldn't do that, so he started to ask me questions regarding vehicle tracking. I said that my boss wasn't interested in that, then the guy turned on me, asking me how the hell would I know what my boss wanted. I countered by saying that, as I'd worked there for 28 years, that was how I knew. He put the phone down. Reeesult!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2011, 09:41 PM

I never answer the phone unless I know who's calling, the missus usually springs up to get it when she's here and if they try to sell her anything she don't want, God help them, on the other hand if it's a friend then she'll be there for the rest of the day.
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2011, 11:31 PM

I'm ex directory as well but still get the calls, I usually start off saying not buying anything and that usually makes them ring off, but is annoying as it isn't always convienant to go to the phone.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 01:13 AM

Here. Register here with this. It's free and it will stop bogus calls to your landline. It won't stop genuine callers, but it will stop those unwanted calls. You can't stop genuine callers though from organisations you belong to, like your bank, building society, or your chosen broadband service such as Cable, etc.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 10:28 AM

I tell them the house is not mine, they usually then ask for the Owners Name n Number.....I then give them the no of the Highland Council lol.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Here. Register here with this. It's free and it will stop bogus calls to your landline. It won't stop genuine callers, but it will stop those unwanted calls. You can't stop genuine callers though from organisations you belong to, like your bank, building society, or your chosen broadband service such as Cable, etc.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
Mollie I am registered but it does very little to stop cold calls because many companies go off shore to set up call centres to get around this. I think a favourite place is the Philippines where English is a first language for many. I have had a number of heated exchanges with people there.
Les
Belfast - Northern Ireland
Les is male  Les has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 02:34 PM

Hate when you're sitting down to dinner, the phone rings - Hectic!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2011, 05:33 PM

You really have to have your wits about you with some of these calls - the ones NOT dialled by an automated system that is.
There are all sorts of scams and by getting you talking they get you to give them information to target you in other ways, maybe by post or email.
There's not much that you can do - even the TPS gets bypassed by auto-diallers so what I do now with cold calls is tell them that they are being recorded for security reasons and a trace is on the line - the phone goes dead in milliseconds.
For the more persistent, just ask them to hold then just leave the phone like that for as long as it takes.
I have to admit though that at times I've just told them to "go forth and multiply" - it works so who cares if it's rude!
We leave our phone on answering machine now because we've set up all friends, family etcetera with a specific call tone so anything NOT on those call tones is not a friend!! stevmk2
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

12-08-2011, 10:21 PM

These days I just say, " How well did you know the deceased?". " I will need to take your name and home address in case we want to speak with you again"

It usually gets their attention and your name is removed from the callers database.
Margaret
Somerset
Margaret is female  Margaret has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 01:16 PM

As well as cold calls, my number is very similar to a local chinese take-away and I am constantly being called by people wishing to order - sometimes they are halfway through the order before you can get a word in. My usual response is to say 'velly solly, bit busy - hold the line', then I put the phone down and leave it - some people wait ages and ages!!!! One day, this person keep ringing call back and getting my number all the time and I did it over and over again......was enjoying the game. However, if they catch me in a very bad mood, I shout at them calling them idiots for not being able to properly dial a number!!! (I have also in the past, actually taken the order and left them weaiting for delivery)

Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top