Join for free
Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Re: Unwanted Phone Calls

I have the perfect solution to this problem . . . the ringer on the phone is switched off . . . calls can come through but I don't hear them . . . I have an answer machine and also caller display and check them regularly all day . . . if it's an urgent call from a family member, they call my mobile.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 01:38 AM

Meg25 that is so cruuuuuuuel, but I like it.

My old landline phone number was 216620 and my phone constantly rang for the local garage, whose number was 212620.

One particular day the phone rang, again asking if I was the garage and I spelt it out by saying: "this is two one double six two zero." The caller said: "yes two one, two sixes, two zero." I said: "no you want two one two, six two zero." Caller: "yes, that's what I said, two one, two sixes, two zero."

I gave up and put the phone down and refused to answer again.

The tale about the Chinese take-away puts me in mind of Hyacinth Bouquet from Keeping Up Appearances!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 11:47 PM

Any cold calls are quickly ended here, I listen to the first sentence and then hang up without saying a word.

If they start with my name I say Doh! and hang up.

They never get anywhere with us and never will.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
These days I just say, " How well did you know the deceased?". " I will need to take your name and home address in case we want to speak with you again"

It usually gets their attention and your name is removed from the callers database.
Hahaha! Love this idea!
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 10:00 PM

If i receive a call from a India call centre and i have nothing else to do .I talk to them for 10 mins sounding very interested and then say not interested.and hang up ..they are paying for the phone call.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2011, 04:23 PM

we had so many calls of this nature at one point we changed our phone number, then believe it or not it was worse than ever, that was about a year ago now and it has slowed down, but now we just tend to put the phone down once we realise it one of those calls
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2011, 04:27 PM

I am getting so many these last few weeks. I have to hang up immediately and hope I got it right and that it wasn't a friend. The family know to use my mobile. Thing is, these people hear my voice and then ask 'is Mr ............ available please?' I cannot answer 'no' cos then they carry on asking when he will be available.
Could be someone checking I'm alone to rob the place?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2011, 04:32 PM

If they ask "Is Mr .......... available" the next time, just place the phone down and ask whoever it is to hold on ....... they will soon get fed up!
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2011, 04:41 PM

That's a good idea Mags, when my husband used to pick up the phone before we decided to ignore all the calls and put the phone down, he would say in a very polite manor he was not interested, but he soon lost his temper as nine times out of ten these people just go on and on, he invariably ended up putting the phone down anyway so its pointless reting to reason with these people.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
If they ask "Is Mr .......... available" the next time, just place the phone down and ask whoever it is to hold on ....... they will soon get fed up!
You're right Mags and that's what I do mostly. You can tell it's them by the background noise anyway but a couple of times I've been caught out - not anymore though. It's such a pain too when you're busy and you get up from what you're in the middle of to answer it!

Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top