Join for free
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2010, 01:30 PM

Ghastly blanket weed !

We have a wild life pond which has been well balanced for a good few years now. We have a frog or 2 who sit in during the hotter (ha ha) summer days but frogs don't breed in it.
We do have numerous breeding newts though.
Throughout the summer our pond is visited by several varieties of dragonfly and butterfly and there are several floweing plants, all locally sourced.
BUT ... toward the end of last year I realised that the pond was starting to be colonised by blanket weed seed slime and jelly and now, despite having had a good clean out over winter it is full of this awful slimy, muddy and scummy stuff that expands almost as I watch.

Has anyone any ideas how to get rid of this stuff as its strangling all the other pond plants and killing off the 'good' weed that the newts lay their eggs on.

Thanks in hope.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2010, 05:35 PM

Re: Ghastly blanket weed !

Just keep pulling it out-it`s a never ending struggle. And check as you do because newts may be in there. Leave the weed on the side of the pond for a couple of days to allow things you missed to get back in and then compost it.

I`d love frogs and toads-we used to have literally hundreds around the garden and pond until about 6 years ago. The grass snakes moved into the village and wiped them out-they have never returned-the frogs that is. I still see the odd snake in the pond but they don`t seem to eat the newts
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2010, 07:12 PM

Thanks OG. I had hoped there might be a magic cure, but I should have known better.
I'd love to see grass snakes using the pond though, so far, no snakes.
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2010, 03:40 PM

I love getting rid of the blanket weed. I find it very theraputic just twirling the cane around and collecting it up, sad aren't I
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2010, 06:30 PM

I find it very theraputic just twirling the cane around* .

*From my book-discipline for young public schools boys and other pond life

Cut and paste can be wicked and you do feed the lines
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2010, 07:26 AM

yes but it makes us laugh and the little darlings probably need it.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

21-05-2010, 05:10 PM

I only tease/joke with folk I respect-same as my comment to Anti Brown about the misuse of the apostrophe.

It takes a brain to see humour. Humour I said-not rubbish smothered in canned laughter
val
Kent UK

22-05-2010, 06:41 AM

I love it OG, we only seem to get canned laughter these days, I wish they'd turn it down on the tele. Why is it music and background noise is very loud but speaking is mumble. I'm getting old.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

22-05-2010, 04:55 PM

I'm getting old.

So am I. I find it harder and harder to pick out speech when there is background noise(music)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top