Join for free
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2010, 07:48 PM

Cordyline Red Star

I have just been sent two of these plants as a free gift from a company in Jersey that I bought bedding plants from. They were useless as I haven't received all of them yet and of course in Cumbria we have a very short summer and they should be in the ground.

Thing is I don't know what todo with these nice looking plants and whether they are hard enough to live outside as there was no information about them in the box.

I was thinking of re-potting them in biggish pots at the moment but not so sure what I should do when the cold weather comes again as it will.
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2010, 09:09 AM

Re: Cordyline Red Star

They look wonderful in pots. you can just tie the leaves together in winter. This site will give you a bit more info. They are quite common here and I've never seen them tied together but you are further north so they might need it.

http://bit.ly/a9muDK
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2010, 10:06 AM

Thank you for that Val, we have put them in bigger pots and have stood them on out of the full sun. They look really good and they say on the site that they are good for the seaside which probably means they can stand pretty cold winds and weather but not the frost. We get heavy frosts here so I think they will need protecting in the winter. Someone said to tie them up and give them a fleece wrap.

They have ony been in their big pots for a week but they have spread out and settled down comfortably and appear bigger.
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2010, 12:18 PM

jolly good. We do get frosts here but I'm sure not as hard or for so long as you get it up north. The ones I've seen are in the ground and we've got heavy clay so I think you'd do well to wrap them up for the winter.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

17-06-2010, 06:01 PM

Thanks for your help Val, much appreciated, enjoy the summer, I certainly don't need to wrap up today.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top