Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 06:37 PM

Re: My allotment - some pictures

Originally Posted by june1958 ->
PP I am soooo jealous you have an allotment!!!
Hi June - I have cut and pasted this from an allotment website:

Allotments are valuable green spaces and community assets. We are entirely committed to allotments for all the benefits they provide communities, including the opportunity to grow fresh produce in line with current thinking on healthy eating, organic food, exercise, fostering community cohesion, enhancing biodiversity, and providing educational opportunities and health benefits.

The provision of allotments is the responsibility of local authorities and they are uniquely protected in law. Under existing legislation (the Smallholdings and Allotments Act 1908) there is a duty on local authorities (except for inner London boroughs) to provide allotments where they perceive a demand for them in their area. If an allotment authority is of the opinion that there is a demand for allotments in its area, it is required, under Section 23 of the Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908, to provide a sufficient number of allotments and to let them to persons residing in its area who want them.

Written representations may be made to the local authority on the need for allotments by any 6 resident registered electors or persons liable to pay council tax, and the local authority must take those representations into account (section 23(2) of the Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908). The Council must assess whether there is a demand for allotments in their area. If the Council then decides that there is a demand for them, they have a statutory duty to provide a sufficient number of plots. In terms of the duty to provide under section 23 of the Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908 there is no time limit for provision once it has been established that there is a demand.

In addition to the legislation, the planning system plays a role in protecting existing open space from development, and where appropriate, it can require a developer to make provision for particular types of open space where a deficiency has been identified.

Planning policy is contained in Planning Policy Guidance note 17: Planning for Open Space, Sport and Recreation, 2002 (PPG17). PPG17, states that local planning authorities should make robust assessments of the existing and future needs of their communities for all open spaces of public value, which, by definition, includes allotments.

Communities and Local Government grant funds the Federation of City and Community Gardens to deliver activities that contribute to our green space agenda. Part of the grant has been awarded to deliver support and best practice around allotments. In addition, part of that grant goes towards funding the Allotment Regeneration Initiatives (ARI). ARI supports the development of best practice models for regenerating under used allotment sites or for finding alternative ways of maintaining allotments as publicly accessible open spaces. They also offer advice, mentoring and training services at a local level.

Baroness Andrews, the Minister with responsibility for allotment policy, hosted a meeting of allotment policy stakeholders on 20 February 2009. Attendees considered current trends, issues and priorities for action, as identified in a paper written by Dr Richard Wiltshire, an academic with expert knowledge on allotments. One of the key actions that came out of that meeting is to update the good practice guidance, Growing in the Community, and to provide a clear map of allotment law/guidance to ensure that all local councils are aware of their obligations and good practice in the provision of allotments.

It is worth getting together with 5 others if you can and petition your local council
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 06:57 PM

I wonder if my old allotments are still there-I used to have six of them.

All in Leeds-Ash road and Headingley station-but we did leave in 1993.

My first was 1977-sort of Hyde park/Clarendon road for those who know Leeds.

These days I just have a decent sized veg garden
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
I wonder if my old allotments are still there-I used to have six of them.

All in Leeds-Ash road and Headingley station-but we did leave in 1993.

My first was 1977-sort of Hyde park/Clarendon road for those who know Leeds.

These days I just have a decent sized veg garden
I've just looked on google earth - the Ash Road ones are there
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 08:06 PM

so they are!! I just googled and the picture was covered in snow-I remember that. One of my neighbours was what one might call an honest crook. He made the odd bob or two but if anyone messed with him or messed up plots near him,including me,they paid for it.

I have many memories of sharing a cup of tea with him and his wife and the bloke next door(allotment wise).Pat was as gentle as the summer breeze-until anyone messed with him
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Thanks PP - I didn't know that was legislation, I may get some more to sign a petition and see what happens!

June x
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

13-07-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by june1958 ->
Thanks PP - I didn't know that was legislation, I may get some more to sign a petition and see what happens!

June x
Good luck - let us know. There is a spare 1/2 plot on ours - it seems no-one is interested!! Shame you are not nearer.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top