Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2010, 03:22 PM

Flying ants!

We are having our third invasion of flying ants this month!

I'm sure that years ago we only saw the masses of them on one day a year. I hate them, they seem to get everywhere ..... I even find them in the washing when I'm about to iron it. You can't even have a cuppa outdoors when they are in full flight as you end up continually fishing them out of your cup!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2010, 04:43 PM

Re: Flying ants!

They are a nuisance, aren't they? You might find this link interesting, Mags.
It does say swarming occurs after heavy Summer rains.

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Pests/flyant.htm
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2010, 04:44 PM

I hate the things - thankfully we've only had one lot of them this year
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
They are a nuisance, aren't they? You might find this link interesting, Mags.
It does say swarming occurs after heavy Summer rains.

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Pests/flyant.htm
Thanks for the link Eileen, I didn't know of the connection between summer rains and swarms....
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Ours seem to be over-but I sort of like the day they come out. Swallows V Ants. Not quite the Battle of Britain but

Swallow leader to squadron-flying ants at four O`clock low-dive in and happy hunting
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2010, 08:18 PM

Good one, OG. When I was younger, our next door neighbor used to get hysterical when they swarmed by the house; she was convinced they were termites and nothing I told her would reassure her..

Ants have waists. Termites don't.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

30-07-2010, 09:24 PM

Cassie is like a hoover-cat when she's outdoors, she'll eat anything that moves

She was in her element with all the ants!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2010, 09:24 PM

Am very lucky where I live now-never seen any ants at all. Where I previously lived, remember coming home from work and thought someone had painted my front windows black-they were covered in ants Rang my brother, (he hadn't moved to Derbyshire then) to come and help and I sat in the car till he arrived.....just couldn't cope with them
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

30-07-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by merz ->
Am very lucky where I live now-never seen any ants at all. Where I previously lived, remember coming home from work and thought someone had painted my front windows black-they were covered in ants Rang my brother, (he hadn't moved to Derbyshire then) to come and help and I sat in the car till he arrived.....just couldn't cope with them
I hate it when they start flying around, they get in your hair and I'm always afraid I may swallow one!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I hate it when they start flying around, they get in your hair and I'm always afraid I may swallow one!
Don't be frightened of swallowing one Mags.....an Environmental Officer once told me they were very nutritional He was serious, but I wouldn't want to eat any of them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top