Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:49 PM

Re: Habits

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes I have to check taps, plug sockets and door is locked twice before bed. Not necessarily bad we can at least know everythings turned off and no one can get in. My husband has aspergers and some of his OCD habits have rubbed off on me over the years. He counts lamp posts and cars in car park most annoying luckily those haven't invaded my psyche.
I have one I'm rather ashamed of I pick, I pick my skin I can actually draw blood at times, I don't even know I'm doing it, first I know I suddenly realise I am bleeding and got blood all over my hand. Not a good one and I'm not proud of it.
haha Julie just as I read this what was I doing? Yep, picking my skin on my finger LOL
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 04:04 PM

My problem is that I probably don't have enough habits/rituals. Somehow doing the same thing the same way every day makes me feel imprisoned. Probably because I was all but imprisoned by schedules, appointments, and the kitchen table (workspace for the kids) for so long .

I was always amazed at people like my MIL who put dinner on the table every night at 6:30 - to the minute. At my house it could be anywhere from 6-9 (usually the latter in Summer).

On that note, has anyone seen my keys?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Have you thought of some kind of therapy for this Julie?

I have a friend that sometimes self-harms, more with razors so worse. She found therapy helped.
'
Bless your friend, SP. Severe cases can be treated with medication. That is a a neurological issue - inflammation, genetic, or chemical. Sometimes SSRIs can help.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 04:52 PM

Switching off lights when not in use. Turning off electrical items at night or if the house will be empty. Double checking sometimes especially the iron or when i used to use hair straighteners. Checking the car is locked by testing the handle after the bleeping key ring has locked it.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 04:59 PM

Do you have habits?
Certainly do as my other half had a thing about monks.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I had a bit of therapy sweetie but found it made me worse, they kept saying eventually it would get better but I gave up before I did myself real harm !
Julie, I think this is your way of dealing with stress, without knowing. I know you have had a lot on your plate.
It is rather like fright when your hair stands on end. The arms are very sensitive, and the nerves caused by certain worries make the hairs stand up, so you may tend to scratch or pick as a way of dealing with that feeling. This is sometimes because you feel out of control of a given situation, and subconsciously wrongly blame yourself. I hope this helps you to understand. x
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
'
Bless your friend, SP. Severe cases can be treated with medication. That is a a neurological issue - inflammation, genetic, or chemical. Sometimes SSRIs can help.
Yes, the new antidepressants. It is getting her to see a GP, that is the problem.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Switching off lights when not in use. Turning off electrical items at night or if the house will be empty. Double checking sometimes especially the iron or when i used to use hair straighteners. Checking the car is locked by testing the handle after the bleeping key ring has locked it.
Nothing wrong with double checking Annie. x

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
Certainly do as my other half had a thing about monks.
You mad fool. xxxx
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 06:17 PM

OK group therapy. x
For me, it's the scab that hasn't quite from my cancer op.
I had therapy for depression. Didn't help. Going for long walks through the parks and woods did.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

15-11-2018, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
For me, it's the scab that hasn't quite from my cancer op.
I had therapy for depression. Didn't help. Going for long walks through the parks and woods did.
You must have been so scared, Besso. Try VitE oil it heals things fast. I am sorry therapy was no use.
I know Max is your therapy. xxxxx
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 06:26 PM

Picking my skin on my fingers and biting my lip a lot. I'm always having to use hand cream and lip balm.
Checking my phone too often at night to see if I've missed any calls. I don't like my wife home alone while I'm at work.

As a spotty teenage youth I played with myself a lot. But who didn't?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top