Join for free
Page 275 of 370 « First < 175 225 265 273 274 275 276 277 285 325 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 08:28 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I went on my 'old' exercise bike today, I'm ashamed to say I managed just 5 minutes
Oh Mags you put me to shame!!
I'm supposed to be doing 10 minutes a day, advice from the Osteopath I saw at the start of the year when I had a bad back.
I went on it after my son had put it together at the weekend...he said the heart indicator should read well over 100...it was 80!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I'm supposed to be doing 10 minutes a day, advice from the Osteopath I saw at the start of the year when I had a bad back.
I went on it after my son had put it together at the weekend...he said the heart indicator should read well over 100...it was 80!
It’s early days Ruthio, don’t give up

I haven’t got all the extras on my bike, just timer, distance, speed (haha!) and calories burned
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Remind him it's not to late to write him out of the will

Ruthio, you and Mags are both doing better than I am; my stationary bike is 1,000 miles away .

Anything is better than nothing!

Think we'll be ready for the Tour de France next year?

Gosh, I forgot and am back editing to add that I ran a mere 4.5 today. I simply ran out of time (enter OGF to talk to me about priorities ).
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 10:43 AM

Well done Ruthio and Mags, keep up the good work. Watch your heart rate though...A rough guide to find your max heart rate is 220 minus your age, in my case it would be 220 - 68 = 152 under no circumstances exceed your max heart rate.....

Any running is good running Surfermom, and I don't expect everyone to be as staunch as me........

Had an amazing run this morning, energy in abundance following Sunday's hard ten. I believe that the bodies ability to store energy is similar to a rechargeable battery, to benefit from maximum storage capacity you must first discharge completely before recharging. I have proved this theory time and time again with the ultimate example being after carbo loading before my fastest ever marathon....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 03:44 PM

Nice run, OGF. Your theory is a most interesting one. It ties in well to some theories out there about the benefits of occasional fasting. Also worth considering is the ebb, flow, and storage (uptake) and release of neurotransmitters and hormones related to long-distance running. What are the patterns of exercise and recovery that most benefit brain function?

Food (carbs) for thought!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 04:40 PM

I had a great time at the gym. I did a solid workout and the chest seems to be easing today. The last session was a dismal 44 out of 100, but this one was a 62 and I "trained like a sportsman" which is an improvement I am happy with.

I also met a woman in her early eighties who needed a hand using some of the machines and when we introduced ourselves she said I had the same name as her son, who had died of a brain haemorrhage 20 years ago. Coincidentally it was the anniversary of his passing and she'd come to the gym to take her mind off it. I expressed my sympathies and we had a nice time, with me volunteering to help out with the machines if she needed it. She enjoyed herself and when she left she sought me out and said she'd taken in as a sign from her son that she'd met a nice person with the same name as her son on the anniversary of his passing. I had a little lump in my throat, I admit.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

11-04-2019, 05:02 PM

What a remarkable coincidence, and very chivalrous of you, Tachyon! You were certainly (placed?) in the right place at the right time! I expect that you made each other's day.

Do I ever have respect for someone in their eighties who is at the gym!

I'm delighted your workout was satisfying on top of it.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
What a remarkable coincidence, and very chivalrous of you, Tachyon! You were certainly (placed?) in the right place at the right time! I expect that you made each other's day.

Do I ever have respect for someone in their eighties who is at the gym!

I'm delighted your workout was satisfying on top of it.
I'm not a fanciful man, but I did feel as if somehow we were fated to bump into each other. She indeed made my day, after what has been a depressing week or two, and I hope I made hers too.

She's a tough lady, and she only recently joined the gym, and this was her first session 'on her own' after the induction session. I was incredibly impressed with her determination not to stay home on such a sad day. If I ever make excuses not to go to the gym I shall think of her and quit my whining!

You may think I'm daft but, after she left and as I was getting tired at the end of the workout I was finding myself thinking, "come on, five more reps for J_____", just because she impressed me so much.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 10:21 PM

That's a great little story there, Tachyon. I've done the same thing with people older than me when I was bit younger and heavily into the bodybuilding. Nowadays it's just some students who tend to notice me, ask questions and I help them with technique and so on. Keep up the good work mate, it will maintain your motivation to train yourself too

Suzie, Bob - Some good running again from you folks.

I'll be at the gym again in the morning for some upper body work.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

13-04-2019, 01:49 AM

Tachyon, I have a list of people who come to mind when I am running and feeling like I want to quit. I sure hope you have the opportunity to cross paths again.

Floydy, I'll be waiting for the weekend report. I jumpstarted the weekend with a nice, but terribly chilly run as we had a hard freeze last night here in Kansas. Yesterday, I actually un-planted many of the begonias, tomatoes and an assortment of delicate flowers that my nieces had planted for mom, but I digress.

Just as I completed my first half mile, I could hear a dog panting and racing up behind me. Whipping around to startle the unlikely but possible aggressor, he zoomed playfully by me at nearly the speed of light. Milky and short-haired, clearly a beagle/lab mix, it took a split second to realize that it was my mom's dog who had apparently escaped from the garden.

With no other choice, what was supposed to be a leisurely run became an all out sprint as I tried to catch him before he approached a heavily driven four lane road. Panting now as much as the dog, I turned calling his name hoping he would think me a willing playmate and it wasn't until I was practically running in (insane) circles that he finally steered away from the highway and I could drag the happy little beast back home. .5 miles + 5 miles + a quart of ice cold water to share with my running buddy.

Page 275 of 370 « First < 175 225 265 273 274 275 276 277 285 325 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top