Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 01:53 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I like that Tiger.
What about Cock-a-leekie soup? Have they messed with that I wonder.
They seemed to have tampered with most of the goodies I used to love, Jacobs used to make two kinds of marshmallow biscuits, Kimberley and Mikado, I loved them with coffee. I recently asked Phyllis to look out for them when she was shopping, that’s if they still do them, she brought me back a package of each and I tried them but couldn’t eat them, the biscuit parts were like plasterboard and the marshmallow like white sealant, horrible, but ideal for the busy workman renovating a room who wanted to work through his break, he wouldn’t know if he was eating or just inhaling his surroundings.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 02:03 PM

My niece Rose was here today, she’s 19 now and very concerned about her appearance, she’s very down to earth and we get on well, she’s not afraid to ask me questions and she knows she’ll get the truth whether it pleases her or not. She had her brown hair dyed blonde in the salon and she asked me what I thought of it, I said it looked great and it suited her, she should keep it that colour. I told her the truth and if I thought it didn’t suit her I would have said so, yes she did look more attractive blonde.
Then the wife comes in from the shops and says “Oh my God Rose! what did you do to your lovely brown hair?”
I snuck out to the shed.

Some people, especially women, can be very self conscience about their faces, the least little thing that somehow doesn’t look right has to change if it can be changed, they all want to look perfect, of course perfect means different things to different people. Some girls think big dreamy eyes are the thing for them, but if only they could see those big eyes fifty years on they would think again, big dreamy eyes don’t suit old folks at all, you’ll look like Marty Feldman or his sister and you’ll be inclined to frighten little children, your grand children will hate you.
Then you have the big lips thing, I never found big lips attractive in women, but I’m in the minority most men do.
The most obvious feature of anyones face is of course the nose “As plain as the nose on your face” as they say, and everyone wants to have a plain nose, there is not much scope for variation in the nose department is there, I mean if you are lucky enough to have a plain nose there will be no nasty comments passed, but be it large, dented, turned sideways a few millimetres, slightly upturned, pointed or flat, then the nose will be the first thing to be noticed on ones face, no ones fault it’s just human nature, I remember as a teenager I got a pimple smack in the centre of me nose, all the gang had a great laugh for days calling me “Jimmy the Rhino”, and that was just a pimple, God help me if it had been a boil, kids can be so cruel as you well know.
Ears come a close second, I had an Uncle Hugh and all his life we knew him as Uncle Big ears, he seemed to like being called that, yes he had very big ears and made no attempt to hide them under a hat either, he was as proud of his big ears just as much as Jimmy Durante was of his big nose, good luck to him, he was a very jolly man.
Did you know Clarke Gable had to have his ears cello taped back when doing the close up shots in his romantic films? that’s a fact.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 02:18 PM

Jem, what is an Ear Cello?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

11-06-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It’s an instrument only audible to folks with big ears Spitty, never heard it myself, thank God.
I typed in cellotaped and the speller thing changed it to cello taped, I didn’t bother to change it.

What is a cow orker?, “ I handed in my notice along with my cow orkers” I read that in a news item, it must have been a misspelling cos I looked up “Orker” and there was nothing, I’m a confirmed townie but I already knew what a cow was, then I thought it might have something to do with whales, a cow orca could be the chap who looks after the female whales, then I saw the light, the two words should be joined up like so — coworker, silly me, maybe I’m becoming dyslexic is that what they call it when you see a word you know but it looks unfamiliar for some reason.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->

Glad you asked that.. as I am a great believer in further edumication .
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 05:04 PM

Always thought it was Cock-a-leekie so I don't know who wrote the Titanic menus but that menu spelling of cockie leekie just to please those 1st Class passengers could have put the mockers on that ill fated liner .

Among the items that were salvaged from the Titanic's doomed maiden voyage is a lunch menu from the ship's last day before it struck an iceberg and sank in 1912. The menu, was saved by a rescued passenger.

The 100 year old artifact sheds light on the typical dishes of the early years of the last century, just your usual jacket potatoes, corned beef, and ... cockie leekie?

The menu describes dishes served in the ship's first class dining room and is dated April 14, 1912, the day before the ship's tragic sinking early the following morning. Of the 2,200 passengers on board, some 1,500 perished in the icy North Atlantic sea. .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Glad you asked that.. as I am a great believer in further edumication .

Yep, been furthering Ed since 2012, now I have an Ed Ache.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

11-06-2019, 09:26 PM

Sellotape cellotape, what’s the difference, I could argue that it came from the word cellophane, the see through plastic stuff, just add glue and there it is, didn’t come from sellophane did it? that’s just the trade name, so technically I would be right, but who cares as long as it kept his ears out of the girls mouth when he was kissing her.

I just hope they haven’t any plans to make another Titanic film Solo, I’m surprised so many people go to see a picture knowing the end before they even take their seats.
Who knows, the way history is twisted to suit those in power, in another couple of hundred years time it will be changed to a happy ending fairytale, nobody perished and they all lived happily ever after. "All tragic news and events will be wiped from the history books, there shall be only rejoicing and happiness when the meek inherit the earth" So de holy bible say.

Well I'll be off now to commence my own type of rejoicing.
solo
UK

12-06-2019, 09:35 AM

Doesn't matter what the blasted stuff's called Jem whether it's Sellotape, Cellotape, Adhesive Tape, Duct Tape, Electrical Tape or Masking Tape as the darned stuff will fight you every step of the way showing no mercy whatsoever. This stuff makes the simplest job turn into a Combat a Mort. Trying to find the beginning of the tape just to get started should be a clear hint of the frustrated misery that is to follow.

It's tape vs human simple as that and the minute you even think about using any of the stuff it's a case of "do I really need to put myself through this mind boggling ordeal....or will it wait until another day"

No guessing which one I choose cos now I know that that cute Sellotape Snail ad getting us to buy the orrid stuff was nothing more than a crafty sales gimmick.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

12-06-2019, 11:48 AM

My tape bosses me about, don't know why I buy Gaffer Tape.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top