Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 10:44 PM

Re: Flooding.....

That looks awful Bob, it must be frightening for anyone living close by. How far are you away from the flooded area?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 10:56 PM

Wow! That flooding is awful, Foxy.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That looks awful Bob, it must be frightening for anyone living close by. How far are you away from the flooded area?
We are about two miles away from the area where I took the photos Mags, and thankfully at the other side of the river, but the main flooding seems to have taken place in Doncaster itself where the two bridges cross the river and in Bentley/Toll Bar which was flooded the last time the river burst its banks. One bridge was in fact closed and the other was jammed with traffic.

I tried three different routes back home and had to turn back each time. I eventually found a route almost forty miles round trip.....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
We are about two miles away from the area where I took the photos Mags, and thankfully at the other side of the river, but the main flooding seems to have taken place in Doncaster itself where the two bridges cross the river and in Bentley/Toll Bar which was flooded the last time the river burst its banks. One bridge was in fact closed and the other was jammed with traffic.

I tried three different routes back home and had to turn back each time. I eventually found a route almost forty miles round trip.....
I think I would have stayed at home!

I'm glad you took the photos though, we can visualise the situation better.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Wow! That flooding is awful, Foxy.
Fortunately it doesn't happen too often Tiff, but it can be a bit worrying when it does.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-11-2019, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I think I would have stayed at home!

I'm glad you took the photos though, we can visualise the situation better.
Actually Mags, we were visiting a golf club restaurant for some lunch and it was the other side of the river.....We were paying for the Christmas Dinner we've arranged for the family....I felt like I'd been hit with a golf ball when they told me the cost..... But the omelette was very tasty......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

08-11-2019, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Actually Mags, we were visiting a golf club restaurant for some lunch and it was the other side of the river.....We were paying for the Christmas Dinner we've arranged for the family....I felt like I'd been hit with a golf ball when they told me the cost..... But the omelette was very tasty......
That was worth going out for then Bob, glad the omelette was good!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 09:55 AM

OGF I'm glad your ok but obviously feel for all those people . I cant imagine the horror . I would bet there are people not insured too . Awful

a genuine question , what can be done to stop this because once a flood always a flood surely it mustn't be allowed to happen again .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 12:04 PM

Thanks for taking the pics OGF. Scary stuff.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 04:44 PM

What phenomenal engineering! Good history there.

Those are spectacular photos, OGF, but I am sorry for those who will be affected. There really is no damage like water damage, and it's a mess to clean up aftewards. Do you all have private or government flood insurance for you property over there?

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top