Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 09:17 PM

Longer Summers, Shorter Winters

Australian summers have become twice as long as the most recent winters, according to new analysis from The Australia Institute.

Researchers at the Canberra-based think-tank have crunched weather data from the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) from between 1999 to 2018 and compared it to Australian weather records from 1950 to 1969.

The analysis found all Australian capital cities experienced longer summers and shorter winters, with summer 31 days longer than it was in the 50s and 60s, with winter about three weeks shorter.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...orter/12013978
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 09:23 PM

Re: Longer Summers, Shorter Winters

Sounds amazing. We could do with some of that here tbh.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 09:26 PM

The numbers don't lie. Despite some of the arguments to the contrary they are all there on the public record. I've certainly noticed a difference from when I was a kid. I remember when I was in primary school there would be a fireplace in each classroom and in winter the teacher would let us take turns in tending to the fire. It got really cold on winter mornings to the point where we would have to wear woolly gloves and beanies. IT would warm a little during the days but it was so much colder back then even in Sydney and Perth. As for Canberra it would snow nearly every year and Melbourne was bone chilling cold in winter. Not any more.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 11:07 AM

In answer to Bruce and Keezoy, l did read some time ago that the
tectonic plate that oz sits on is moving northwards towards the
equator, could it be that the climate is thus becoming tropcal??
Jus asking?
Donkeyman!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
In answer to Bruce and Keezoy, l did read some time ago that the
tectonic plate that oz sits on is moving northwards towards the
equator, could it be that the climate is thus becoming tropcal??
Jus asking?
Donkeyman!
It is moving north at something like 70mm per year or 7 metres over 100 years I am not sure that is enough to explain longer summers. Ask yourself - if you walk 7 metres north or south from your house is the climate much different?

However I read recently that a team of scientists is about to recalculate Australia's latitude and longitude coordinates, which are currently out by more than 1.5 metres.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 12:43 PM

What a fabulous photo, Bruce, thank you!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

02-03-2020, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
What a fabulous photo, Bruce, thank you!
Not my photo ST. It came from the article quoted below it.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It is moving north at something like 70mm per year or 7 metres over 100 years I am not sure that is enough to explain longer summers. Ask yourself - if you walk 7 metres north or south from your house is the climate much different?

However I read recently that a team of scientists is about to recalculate Australia's latitude and longitude coordinates, which are currently out by more than 1.5 metres.
There has been a lot of earthquake and volcanic activity in the
pacific rim area recently, Brucy, this could mean that the tectonic
movement is speeding up?? However the replotting of co--ordinates
you mention should clear this up? What other reason other than
axis tilt could there be?
Donkeyman!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 03:22 AM

That photo doesn't exactly inspire "some" people to want to cut back on fossil fuel, rather burn it on an airline ticket and a surfboard.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

7 metres, that is just about the whole nine Yards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top