Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 12:12 AM

Re: Romanian fruit pickers

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The Romanians that I have met are very hard workers and working outdoors will be more likely not to have the virus I imagine but it seems daft when we have so many young people not working,
They are all very hard working & grateful for work too, most of them, they wouldn't come here if they weren't.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 08:33 AM

Makes me wonder how many will go underground when it comes time to go back.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 11:58 AM

A call was put out on the 8th April for Furloughed staff to work on farms in UK. to boost their income.
By 11th April they had 26,000 already responded to the call.

So 5 days later, we now haveRomanians arriving who will be quarantined tested , at who's expense , and in the meantime how many more Brits will have responded.

Seems to me, the British fruit and veg producers would rather not pay a decent wage.

There are plenty of Brits happy to work on farms, and the old cry of 'Brits won't do the work' is a convenient lie .

http://www.fruitnet.com/fpj/article/...-work-on-farms
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 12:22 PM

Britain appears to be pulling together fairly well at the moment and I reckon if the government would just ask, the people would come. Not just the young students but people of all ages. I know I would .They just need some PPE to protect them that's all.

The same goes for our roads. Just think of all the repairs that could be made now whilst they are empty.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
A call was put out on the 8th April for Furloughed staff to work on farms in UK. to boost their income.

So 5 days later, we now haveRomanians arriving who will be quarantined tested , at who's expense , and in the meantime how many more Brits will have responded.

Seems to me, the British fruit and veg producers would rather not pay a decent wage.

There are plenty of Brits happy to work on farms, and the old cry of 'Brits won't do the work' is a convenient lie .

Sorry PD. I didn't see that. That's great news although I have still seen farmers on TV asking for help.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->

I remember seeing the front-page media headlines when the British Growers Association basically said it would be doom and gloom for UK veg which would go to ruin unless they had an 'army' or crop pickers. Then a few days later the same association made statements to the press that they was very very pleased at the response they got for help from the British public.

I therefore agree with the last line of your post Puddle Duck, it has to be down to UK farmers not wanting to pay a decent wage to the British public who need a decent wage to be able to live due to how expense it is to live in the UK. It's is much more advantageous for UK farmers to fly in cheap labour from abroad, have them live in sheds for the duration of the harvest then fly them back home again.

The government need to investigate this because I think the UK's farmers are pulling a fast one here, aided and abetted by their association.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The unemployed should be MADE to do this work if they are physically able or have all benefits suspended. Around here the going rate for this work is 15 quid an hour and very low cost though a bit Spartan accomodation.
For once Todgy l agree entirely with you this time!!

Donkeyman! 👍👍👍
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 07:39 PM

Indeed. And instead of several months in prison for offenders, get them working in the fields, community service and all that.

I was also surprised about the "shipment" of Romanians as I was pleased to read last week that so many in the UK had responded to the farmers' cries for help. I had also just assumed students and the unemployed too lazy (in our day it was almost a right of passage to go fruit / veg picking) but it hadn't occurred to me that locals would be harder to pay. But then if that was the case why would they appeal for local help?

A few years ago there was a local apple orchard farmer guy on local tv saying he had to employ Eastern Europeans because the locals just couldn't hack it and would only last on the job for one or 2 days but yet they would still complain the Eastern Europeans were taking all their jobs!!

Good point about road repairs too!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 10:53 AM

Back in the days of butter mountains and wine lakes when farmers
used to bury their excess produce rather than reduce the price to
get rid of it, or sell it to russia for half the price they wanted us to
pay, what did they do for labour then??
I dont remember hordes of migrants seeking work or asylum?
How did this situation come about?
Could it be anything to do with EU policies??

Donkeyman! 😇😇😇
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 11:11 AM

I think it's all to do with wages, I seem to remember there was outrage, a few years back, that jobs weren't being advertised here, they were just going straight to other countries because of cost.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top