Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 03:13 PM

Re: A story about spaghetti

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Ah, the old saying :"Pick up a penne and all day long you'll have a pasta"
I once picked up a Penny.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 04:48 PM

I don't get it. What's all this talk about LONG spaghetti. There is only one basic length of spaghetti, 25 cm. There is no such thing as SHORT spaghetti.
There are , of course, dozens of sizes and shapes of pasta: Lasagna, penne, rigatoni, elbow, bowties etc etc , but they are not spaghetti pasta.

Photo of spaghetti pasta.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	61PzbBDPxFL._SX522SX522_SY191_CR,0,0,522,191_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SX522_SY191_CR,0,0,522,191_.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	12328  
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 07:14 PM

Bakerman, the long or perhaps I should say longer spaghetti seems to be sold as traditional.
If my memory serves me well it was more readily available during the sixties and seventies in it's distinctive indigo packaging.

I'm almost reluctant to say this but I've taken a ruler into the kitchen, the spaghetti in my pasta stash is 25.8cm.

Bring on the spaghetti fritters!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Westender ->
Bakerman, the long or perhaps I should say longer spaghetti seems to be sold as traditional.
If my memory serves me well it was more readily available during the sixties and seventies in it's distinctive indigo packaging.

I'm almost reluctant to say this but I've taken a ruler into the kitchen, the spaghetti in my pasta stash is 25.8c
Huh ? Are you saying that in the UK there is a "short" spaghetti ? Never heard of any such thing.
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Huh ? Are you saying that in the UK there is a "short" spaghetti ? Never heard of any such thing.
Indeed I am...or "long spaghetti", it depends on which way you care to look at it I suppose.
bakerman
Mexico

22-04-2020, 08:27 PM

Indeed I am...or "long spaghetti", it depends on which way you care to look at it I suppose.
Traditional SPAGHETTI measures 25 cm. There are many SHORTER pastas, but they have other names. The Italian word "spaghetti" has a very specific meaning ie; round, and measuring 25 cm. Spaghetti is spaghetti. If it not round and measuring 25 cm in length IT IS NOT SPAGHETTI.

Just like the Italian word Lasagna has a very specific meaning.
Macaroni has a very specific meaning. Dozens and dozens of other forms of pasta have very specific names to describe them.
No such thing as "short" spaghetti or "long" spaghetti. There is only spaghetti. PERIOD !
Westender
Sussex, UK

22-04-2020, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Traditional SPAGHETTI measures 25 cm. There are many SHORTER pastas, but they have other names. The Italian word "spaghetti" has a very specific meaning ie; round, and measuring 25 cm. Spaghetti is spaghetti. If it not round and measuring 25 cm in length IT IS NOT SPAGHETTI.

Just like the Italian word Lasagna has a very specific meaning.
Macaroni has a very specific meaning. Dozens and dozens of other forms of pasta have very specific names to describe them.
No such thing as "short" spaghetti or "long" spaghetti. There is only spaghetti. PERIOD !
Blimey! I stand corrected.
I couldn't resist a quick google on the subject, from what I gather the origin of the word spaghetti had a connection with the Italian for string and was approximately 50cm long.

But hey ho! let's not kick off over pasta bakerman.

I shall bid you goodnight.
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 09:12 PM

I've just measured our spaghetti and it is 20 inches long.
We keep it in a glass spaghetti jar sold to hold - spaghetti!

That's 50 centimetres...

It comes wrapped in thick black paper.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Groan! This lockdown thingy is getting to you, Dongles!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 09:22 PM

My son has been asking me where we can get the long spaghetti in the blue packet.
I can't remember seeing it in the shops for ages.
The traditional Italian version. Before the lock down they used to have it in Sainsbury's now they just have the short stuff and the fancy shapes.

Last time I was there they had bright orange spirelli! Apparently it was made from Lentils!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top