Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 11:01 PM

Re: The holy trinity

Step two

Make your chunky creole sauce

2 TBSP olive oil
2 sticks celery, chopped but not too finely
1 med-lg yellow onion, chopped as above.
1/2 green pepper, chopped as above
3 lg garlic cloves, minced finely
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, less if you don't enjoy very hot.
1 cup of seafood stock
1/2 can of diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
dash of tabasco sauce
-----------------------
Several spring onions, chopped and set aside.

saute yellow onions, celery, and green pepper, in olive oil until onions are a faint golden brown. add garlic and continue sautéing for 30 SECONDS. Not longer or garlic will become bitter.
Immediately add diced tomatoes, cayenne pepper, seafood stock, bay leaf, Worcestershire, and tabasco.
Simmer 30 minutes.
Taste and correct for salt.

Several chopped spring onions to be used as garnish BUT NOT COOKED,

your sauce is now ready to be used. Restaurants make this in large batches, refrigerated and only when Shrimp Creole is ordered do we reheat enough for the order.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 11:20 PM

Shrimp Creole, like most seafood must be served immediately.

Make enough white rice for the number of people you are serving. When done set aside and immediately reheat your creole sauce in a saute pan.

When bubbling away, add enough shrimp for the number of persons. Cook for aprox. 3 minutes while stirring constantly. NOTE: THE TIMING IS DETERMINED BY THE SIZE OF THE SHRIMP. NOTHING WORSE THAN OVER COOKED SHRIMP.

Suggestion: before cooking shrimp, lightly pack cooked rice into a small custard bowl. Invert a plate over the rice. Flip the plate and small bowl and LIGHTLY tap on the counter, to release rice. You now have a pretty mound of rice in the center of the plate. Spoon shrimp creole all around the rice.
sprinkle chopped spring onions over top.

As they say in Creole country,
"Laissez le bon temps rouler" (Let the good times roll)
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 07:08 AM

Thank you very much, Bakerman.

I never knew that shrimp heads and shells could be used - have always discarded them - still, will try anything once and that stock sounds really good.

The rest of the recipe sounds equally delicious and I am looking forward to trying it out. Due to this lock down I will not be able to go into town before next week end - but will certainly head to the fishmonger then. Will telephone him on Monday to order the shrimp so I can collect on Friday - that way I am sure of them.

Quick question - Yellow Onions? Are they something special or just another wonderful language confusion?
bakerman
Mexico

02-05-2020, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Thank you very much, Bakerman.

I never knew that shrimp heads and shells could be used - have always discarded them - still, will try anything once and that stock sounds really good.

Quick question - Yellow Onions? Are they something special or just another wonderful language confusion?

Creole cooks do not waste a thing. There is a great deal of flavor in shrimp heads and shells.
PS: when making the stock you will need to keep adding water so you end up with 3 cups of stock. And then, after you use some of it for your creole sauce, you can freeze the remainder. If (when) you boil shrimp for shrimp cocktail always use the stock. You'd be surprised at the tremendous flavor difference.

Yellow onions: (usually larger then a tennis ball) They are the same onions we use for onion soup.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	onion_yellow.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	12472  

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top