Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 09:46 PM

Hoola Hooping and skipping

I was surprised this week to see an article in an online paper about hoola hooping as exercise during lockdown.

Surprised because I've been thinking about the one in the garage for some time. It was here when I moved in nearly 9yrs ago and full of webs and grime. I keep looking it and wondering if I should have a bash. I'd have to clean it first but it's the webs that put me off touching it (shudders).

Then I remember as a kid I could never hoola hoop anyway. I tried when I was a younger adult and still couldn't do it.

How about you? Could you hoola successfully?

I've also thought about skipping. As a kid when I badly fractured my leg, as part of physio (a year later) I had to do 100 skips a day.

I've a long piece of rope that I thought about having a go with. But I'm feared jumping up and down might lead to earthquakes. I'd love to be able to skip like boxers do, no idea how they get to that stage though.

Could you still skip now?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 09:52 PM

Re: Hoola Hooping and skipping

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I was surprised this week to see an article in an online paper about hoola hooping as exercise during lockdown.

Surprised because I've been thinking about the one in the garage for some time. It was here when I moved in nearly 9yrs ago and full of webs and grime. I keep looking it and wondering if I should have a bash. I'd have to clean it first but it's the webs that put me off touching it (shudders).

Then I remember as a kid I could never hoola hoop anyway. I tried when I was a younger adult and still couldn't do it.

How about you? Could you hoola successfully?

I've also thought about skipping. As a kid when I badly fractured my leg, as part of physio (a year later) I had to do 100 skips a day.

I've a long piece of rope that I thought about having a go with. But I'm feared jumping up and down might lead to earthquakes. I'd love to be able to skip like boxers do, no idea how they get to that stage though.

Could you still skip now?
Funny you should say that, only the other day I asked John if he knew where my skipping rope was. I had been thinking as I can't get to the gym there is other exercises I can do at home. I'm power walking but I thought I'd have a go at skipping and I've also got a kettlebell, I think I'll start doing that too.

I could never hula hoop as a kid so I doubt I will be able to now, now you mention it though, I might just go buy one and have a go lol.

Edited to add, I used to be able to do the bumps with a skipping rope!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Funny you should say that, only the other day I asked John if he knew where my skipping rope was. I had been thinking as I can't get to the gym there is other exercises I can do at home. I'm power walking but I thought I'd have a go at skipping and I've also got a kettlebell, I think I'll start doing that too.

I could never hula hoop as a kid so I doubt I will be able to now, now you mention it though, I might just go buy one and have a go lol.

Edited to add, I used to be able to do the bumps with a skipping rope!
What's a kettlebell Queenie - the mind boggles

Oh, I used to like doing the 'bump', meaning that hip bumping when dancing. Do you mean that?
Can't imagine doing it with skipping rope You'll have to explain that one too!

(My thick head is on)
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 09:25 AM

I can still hoola hoop but only for about 5 mins before it slides to the floor..
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 02:09 PM

I used to have a hoola hoop & could did it for quite a long time too.
Skipping also, but haven't done either for a very, very long time.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
What's a kettlebell Queenie - the mind boggles

Oh, I used to like doing the 'bump', meaning that hip bumping when dancing. Do you mean that?
Can't imagine doing it with skipping rope You'll have to explain that one too!

(My thick head is on)
The 'bumps' was when the rope was twisted so fast that it passed under the skipper's feet twice in the course of one jump, not easy

A kettlebell is a weight used for exercise. Mine weighs 5lb.

Hope that helps pesta xc
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

18-05-2020, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I can still hoola hoop but only for about 5 mins before it slides to the floor..
Well it's 5 mins better than I ever did Carol.

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I used to have a hoola hoop & could did it for quite a long time too.
Skipping also, but haven't done either for a very, very long time.

Oh well done!
Bet you could still do it too. Might be like a bike, you know once done, never forgotten.

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
The 'bumps' was when the rope was twisted so fast that it passed under the skipper's feet twice in the course of one jump, not easy

A kettlebell is a weight used for exercise. Mine weighs 5lb.

Hope that helps pesta xc
Yes thanks Queenie. I did google kettlebell in the end so at least I know what they look like now.

Well that's just 4 girls. No boys eh?
Perhaps boys didn't hoola or skip.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 09:23 PM

I was quite good at Hoola Hooping in my schooldays, it was great fun. I bought one for my daughter when she was 8 or 9 and she was pretty good at it too.

Gone are those days, my waist has disappeared and we all know you can't "Hoop" properly without a waist!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

18-05-2020, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I was quite good at Hoola Hooping in my schooldays, it was great fun. I bought one for my daughter when she was 8 or 9 and she was pretty good at it too.

Gone are those days, my waist has disappeared and we all know you can't "Hoop" properly without a waist!
Oh well done Mags! Honestly, I used to start whizzing it round to to get it going and it just fell down. I couldn't get to the rhythm stage (gosh that sounds rude ).

My waist was ok, I just couldn't do the damn thing!

I could do it on my arm though
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 10:29 PM

I used to hula hoop as a child. Somehow it was introduced into exercise classes about six years ago and became a bit of a fad for a while..........I bought one and still have it - they're different from the old lightweight hoops - much heavier. I'm pretty useless at it but give it another go sometime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top