Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2020, 06:08 PM

Coronavirus: Face coverings to be mandatory on public transport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52927089

Wearing face coverings will be compulsory on public transport in England from 15 June, the transport secretary has said.

Grant Shapps said "every precaution" must be taken as passenger numbers are expected to increase when lockdown measures are further eased.

People will be have to wear coverings on buses, trains, aircraft and ferries.

Very young children, disabled people and those with breathing difficulties will be exempt, he said.

It comes as the UK recorded the deaths of another 176 people who tested positive for coronavirus, taking the total number of deaths in the UK to 39,904 (ed. 10,000 more than died due to London Blitz and approaching the total number of civilian death caused by bombing for the whole of the UK in for the whole of WWII) .
Another much belated precautionary measure .....

Another part of the shambles that passes for "strategy" from the government .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2020, 06:13 PM

Re: Coronavirus: Face coverings to be mandatory on public transport

I wonder when they will make them compulsory in all enclosed spaces. It's nuts that we take so long to do what the rest of the world is doing. We know better cough! cough!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2020, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I wonder when they will make them compulsory in all enclosed spaces. It's nuts that we take so long to do what the rest of the world is doing. We know better cough! cough!
I now have a set of masks that I select from for almost every outdoor "excursion" .....
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2020, 06:27 PM

A good idea ... though every time I'm out and see a bus go by there's no one on it.
Except the driver ...obviously.

It really makes you wonder just how reluctant people will still be to use buses or go to certain shops, say like clothes or bookshops where browsing is usual.
It'll be the death knell of more than a few.
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2020, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52927089

Another much belated precautionary measure .....

Another part of the shambles that passes for "strategy" from the government .....
Seems like a retrograde step to me.
Is something being hidden from us?
Another spike in the number of cases?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2020, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I now have a set of masks that I select from for almost every outdoor "excursion" .....
I could swear that I saw a guy wearing a pair of green underpants as an improvised face covering yesterday afternoon!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-06-2020, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
A good idea ... though every time I'm out and see a bus go by there's no one on it.
Except the driver ...obviously.

It really makes you wonder just how reluctant people will still be to use buses or go to certain shops, say like clothes or bookshops where browsing is usual.
It'll be the death knell of more than a few.
I would definitely feel more confident being in enclosed spaces and on public transport if everyone was wearing a face covering. I'm not sure about the "science" the government is quoting here, because there have been studies to say they are up to 90% effective in preventing transmission (if the person who is infected is wearing one). It should also prevent the transmission of all sorts of other infectious diseases. If people aren't spreading their airborne saliva across a train carriage at the same rate as before then it stands to reason that there will be fewer infections.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-06-2020, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by David P ->
Seems like a retrograde step to me.
Is something being hidden from us?
Another spike in the number of cases?
They pointed out on the news that there has been an increase in hospital admissions in the last week. But I think it's down to making people more confident about getting back to work because public transport is putting many off.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-06-2020, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I would definitely feel more confident being in enclosed spaces and on public transport if everyone was wearing a face covering. I'm not sure about the "science" the government is quoting here, because there have been studies to say they are up to 90% effective in preventing transmission (if the person who is infected is wearing one). It should also prevent the transmission of all sorts of other infectious diseases. If people aren't spreading their airborne saliva across a train carriage at the same rate as before then it stands to reason that there will be fewer infections.
Absolutely .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 08:50 AM

I wonder if those coach drivers who drove those people from the infected cruise ships, caught the virus. I thought at the time they should have had masks on with all those potential carriers sitting behind them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top