Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 10:50 PM

Re: UK passes 40,000 coronavirus deaths

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
The UK death rate of the 1918 pandemic was around 228,000 and that was with a smaller population.

But they didn't have Boris..
They didn't have antibiotics in those days and I thought the main cause of death was pneumonia, but 218k isn't too bad considering they were so much more primitive in their healthcare. Just goes to show how good the individual care must have been. I can't understand why our death rate is so high when we have some state of the art facilities.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We are constantly reminded of how we are beating the virus and how we will meet again and things will get back to normal; but for that to happen, it's as though we have to forget about all those that have died. As you say Omah, some people's lives will never be the same.
I am more worried about surviving the severe version than dying from it. If you read about what it can do to the body.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Swannie148 ->
A shocking statistic. I'm afraid I have to agree with your assessment over your govs response. Please dont ease restrictions while these deaths continue.
I have no intention of doing that, because if I get it it will be curtains for me.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

05-06-2020, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I have no intention of doing that, because if I get it it will be curtains for me.
When the virus was at its worse in my country I never left my street for a month. I almost went up the wall with boredom.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They didn't have antibiotics in those days and I thought the main cause of death was pneumonia, but 218k isn't too bad considering they were so much more primitive in their healthcare. Just goes to show how good the individual care must have been. I can't understand why our death rate is so high when we have some state of the art facilities.
The 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic has been well-documented, and, as you point out, healthcare in those days was still incredibly primitive.

Here's an extract from an article I've read:

https://www.history.com/news/spanish...ave-resurgence

Medical Science Didn't Have the Tools

One of the chief reasons that the Spanish flu claimed so many lives in 1918 was that science simply didn’t have the tools to develop a vaccine for the virus. Microscopes couldn’t even see something as incredibly small as a virus until the 1930s. Instead, top medical professionals in 1918 were convinced that the flu was caused by a bacterium nicknamed “Pfeiffer’s bacillus.”

After a global flu outbreak in 1890, a German physician named Richard Pfeiffer found that all of his infected patients carried a particular strain of bacteria he called H. influenzae.

When the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic hit, scientists were intent on finding a cure for Pfeiffer’s bacillus. Millions of dollars were invested in state-of-the-art labs to develop techniques for testing for and treating H. influenzae, all of it for naught.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
That's a dreadful milestone to reach and a searing indictment of the government's shambolic reaction to the pandemic .....

What will the next milestone be - 50,000, 75,000, 100,000 .....

As I have said elsewhere the citizens of the UK should be very angry about this and asking questions about the NHS and whether it is fit for purpose.

The UK mortality rate on the raw figures is extraordinary at about 17% (40261 ÷ 283,311 x 100). Something has gone seriously wrong.

The news reports here say that the actual deaths from Covid19 in the UK are understated and are actually over 48000.

I talk to my brother in the UK regularly and he is very worried about the situation and how it has been allowed to get out of control.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It will not be those, but who they pass it onto, probably.

I think that you are right Spitty.
I have to say I don’t know anyone who has had it .

The local bowls club think they may have had it in December as several had bad coughs and fever but as it wasn’t an issue then they don’t know ..

Apparently there is a resurgence of it in my area -the SW but everyone I know is social distrancing . Except in Waitrose whose customers may be posh but are thick as two short planks . None appear to know what two metres is and social distancing in the shop seems beyond them .

I have been obliged of late to tell people off - people of my own age too . Stupid older people who should know better.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I hope not.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I am more worried about surviving the severe version than dying from it. If you read about what it can do to the body.
I know what you mean Annie.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 06:37 AM

Has anyone had that scary looking test ?
I only know of one person who has ( a care worker - she didn’t have it )

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top