Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 07:05 PM

Well! I never knew that!

For the last 2 months there has been an acute shortage of any type of Flour. Thankfully, that seems to be easing a little now, but..... Icing Sugar has been a real bugbear to get hold of. So went online to see if there was any substitute for it as I was slowly running out. You could have blown me down with a feather when I found out that Icing Sugar takes exactly 4/5 minutes to make and is exactly the same as what we buy in the boxes!

First, you will need a powerful blender something like a food processer, Nutribullet or coffee grinder.

2 cups of granulated sugar
2 tablespoons of cornflour.

Shove the two ingredients into your blender and blend for 4/5 minutes. Stop and stir with a spatula to ensure not gritty. If it is, then blend for a further minute until smooth.

Wallah! proper icing sugar! I laughed when I read this. I genuinely did not know! certainly won't be buying expensive boxes of icing sugar anymore.
I'll bloomin' well make my own as it's this easy.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 08:57 PM

Re: Well! I never knew that!

I didn't know that either.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 09:00 PM

I didn’t know that either...... we live and learn, even at our age!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 10:25 PM

I know! Isn't it crazy that icing sugar is just granulated sugar ground down with cornflour added. Who would have thought? Thank goodness for the internet.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 11:15 PM

I didn't know that either, but then I wouldn't as that is not the kind of food I eat or can make anything with. Self-taught cooking main meals I can manage, often with the help of the internet and that's my limit. Thank goodness for Google and the internet.

On seeing your find shropshiregirl I did my usual search and found a website where making that icing sugar is shown, also on there are other foods such as buttercream icing, meringues and lemon drizzle slices, which I seem to recall you have already posted about. I don't eat any of that but thought it might be of interest to others so here is the link:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/gu...ke-icing-sugar
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 01:27 AM

Well, that's a new one on me, too. Here in Mexico, confectioners sugar is hard to find. I kept asking for it and all I got was a strange look and shrugged shoulders. Finally, I discovered by accident that for some strange reason it is called "glass sugar". go figure.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I didn't know that either, but then I wouldn't as that is not the kind of food I eat or can make anything with. Self-taught cooking main meals I can manage, often with the help of the internet and that's my limit. Thank goodness for Google and the internet.

On seeing your find shropshiregirl I did my usual search and found a website where making that icing sugar is shown, also on there are other foods such as buttercream icing, meringues and lemon drizzle slices, which I seem to recall you have already posted about. I don't eat any of that but thought it might be of interest to others so here is the link:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/gu...ke-icing-sugar
Have book marked that link, Baz, thank you!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 06:19 AM

[QUOTE=shropshiregirl;1914044

First, you will need a powerful blender something like a food processer, Nutribullet or coffee grinder.

2 cups of granulated sugar
2 tablespoons of cornflour.

Shove the two ingredients into your blender and blend for 4/5 minutes. Stop and stir with a spatula to ensure not gritty. If it is, then blend for a further minute until smooth.

Wallah! proper icing sugar! I laughed when I read this. I genuinely did not know! certainly won't be buying expensive boxes of icing sugar anymore.
I'll bloomin' well make my own as it's this easy. [/QUOTE]

That is brilliant - in future I will make my own as well. Thank you, Shropshiregirl.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 11:57 AM

Well you live and learn!
I have put granulated sugar in a grinding machine before, thinking if l ground it long enough, it would become like icing sugar. Unfortunately, it didn’t..

SG, I bought icing sugar not long ago but when it runs out l will try the sugar/cornflour mix.

Thank You from me too!
Thank You ST for the method.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Have book marked that link, Baz, thank you!
That's OK, you are welcome Silver Tabby, I hope it's useful to you.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top