Join for free
Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 09:55 PM

Re: Proud to be English

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Never been to Wales but had a fantastic welcome in Scotland and Northern Ireland which is why I posted mainly about the UK.
British TOO vague don't like the term
I love the Welsh and some very brave soldiers came from there and fought to preserve the union flag in far off lands, the choirs are unique in all of the UK, and Wales is a beautiful country, and just as soon as the lockdown is over I'll be paying my annual visit....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I'm not English.................
So why are you posting on this thread Besoeker?
Didn't you read the heading?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 10:00 PM

OGF

Wales is one place I would love to see, very much like Cornwall I understand.
AS i said never been there so can't comment. bbut I did just post that some of my fathers ancestors came from there and I still have a diluted Welsh surname
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I did read it. All of it.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Oops sorry OGF. That would include me as well.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 10:23 PM

I have never understood national pride. I feel pride if I do something worth being proud about. I cannot feel pride in an accident of birth putting me in England, an England whose collective history exists without any input from me. How can I d-feel pride?
I am extremely lucky to have lived in Devon for over 20 years with all the wonderful things it has to offer but it doesn't fill me with pride when I partake of them.
I am a Wessex man and I appreciate what that means whenever I go back to Wessex but pride? Hardly.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I have never understood national pride. I feel pride if I do something worth being proud about. I cannot feel pride in an accident of birth putting me in England, an England whose collective history exists without any input from me. How can I d-feel pride?
I am extremely lucky to have lived in Devon for over 20 years with all the wonderful things it has to offer but it doesn't fill me with pride when I partake of them.
I am a Wessex man and I appreciate what that means whenever I go back to Wessex but pride? Hardly.
You and me and others are products of what has happened previously, just have to work out the implications.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 11:31 PM

Perhaps it should be "proud to be Anglo Saxon"? That way you could ensure the Celts and Picts are not included?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 11:36 PM

Well I am proud to have been born on this island, call it what you wish, Britain, Great Britain, whatever. I have friends who are Scottish and also have in the past had friends from Wales. I had an uncle who was Irish and proud of it. All this English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish just causes so much trouble and in fact divides us, in my opinion making us weaker.

Let's all of us realise this and present a united front so this country can be a better place, for all of us. With all that COVID-19 has caused and now with Brexit also happening I reckon it's the right time for a new start on putting right all that's been wrong with this country for decades.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 11:40 PM

I am neither English nor British - and definitely NOT (shudders) european - but I love the UK and particularly Yorkshire - which reminds me of home - and am proud to live here.

Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top