Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 10:29 AM

Re: DIY Fillings

Men Behaving Badly: Toothache

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have just filled two cavities (the old fillings fell out) with one of those DIY kits .... well I'm not going to get to a dentist any time soon. I'll report back on how I get on.
I did the same in the middle of April. Fortunately, the tooth has a root filling, so there is no urgency for me to visit the dentist.

I did telephone the dentist on that occasion and was asked if there is any pain, to which I answered no. Although I wasn't going to be seen any time soon, it is reassuring that there is the possibility of treatment if one is in severe pain, and I understand that those around here are directed to the Manchester Dental Hospital.

Anyway, I used the DIY filler which I found quite easy to apply. It also seems to stay put, but does wear down bit by bit. I refilled again in the middle of May, and it could benefit from being redone again now.

Having suffered severed toothache in the past, I can appreciate how some people have pulled their own teeth out when necessary. If the pain is already there, and sufficiently strong, perhaps it's worth a short, sharp pain when the tooth is pulled without anaesthetic (or maybe with a shot of whisky). Then if the tooth is broken and the root remains, it's even worse. I couldn't do it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

I remember that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I did the same in the middle of April. Fortunately, the tooth has a root filling, so there is no urgency for me to visit the dentist.

I did telephone the dentist on that occasion and was asked if there is any pain, to which I answered no. Although I wasn't going to be seen any time soon, it is reassuring that there is the possibility of treatment if one is in severe pain, and I understand that those around here are directed to the Manchester Dental Hospital.

Anyway, I used the DIY filler which I found quite easy to apply. It also seems to stay put, but does wear down bit by bit. I refilled again in the middle of May, and it could benefit from being redone again now.

Having suffered severed toothache in the past, I can appreciate how some people have pulled their own teeth out when necessary. If the pain is already there, and sufficiently strong, perhaps it's worth a short, sharp pain when the tooth is pulled without anaesthetic (or maybe with a shot of whisky). Then if the tooth is broken and the root remains, it's even worse. I couldn't do it.
I think I shall just keep refilling too if possible. It was all a bit weird last night with bits falling away but it has settled now.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 11:42 AM

I remember that.
So do I. A really funny series.

I have yet to see any repeats and I wonder whether someone has banned it for some unknown reason, as seems to be becoming more common these days.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 11:48 AM

I remember that.
Originally Posted by JBR ->
So do I. A really funny series.

I have yet to see any repeats and I wonder whether someone has banned it for some unknown reason, as seems to be becoming more common these days.
It's bound to be non-PC - alcohol and tobacco abuse, women treated as sexual objects, no BAME or LGBT actors in major roles, etc, etc .....

I think it's brilliant .....
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I have one of those filling things in my bathroom cabinet for just in case . My niece is a dental nurse in London and she told me some had pulled their own teeth out during lockdown ! ...isn't that awful .

I hope you do get an appointment soon . Some folk must be in great discomfort
Susan, the one thing I am absolutely terrified of is dentists, I'd rather face a bloke with a gun! It all stems from bad experiences as a child, for years now I've been taking out my own teeth, I have it down to an artform, I took one out recently that had been causing me pain for a while so it had to go, a bit of ice to numb the gum, a large Jack Daniels to dull the pain and off I went, it soon came out and although it did hurt a bit at least I knew what to expect.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

18-06-2020, 01:17 PM

It's bound to be non-PC - alcohol and tobacco abuse, women treated as sexual objects, no BAME or LGBT actors in major roles, etc, etc .....

I think it's brilliant .....
Me tto.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

18-06-2020, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by sparky ->
Susan, the one thing I am absolutely terrified of is dentists, I'd rather face a bloke with a gun! It all stems from bad experiences as a child, for years now I've been taking out my own teeth, I have it down to an artform, I took one out recently that had been causing me pain for a while so it had to go, a bit of ice to numb the gum, a large Jack Daniels to dull the pain and off I went, it soon came out and although it did hurt a bit at least I knew what to expect.
Are the teeth loose when you take them out or do you really have to tug at them? I'm not sure I could do that.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 01:19 PM

I need a filling.
I had an appointment for it to be done on March 24th ... except Boris declared lockdown the day before, so it was cancelled. It was rescheduled to June 24th, next week.

Thankfully, he did bung a bit of infill in it as mine isn't straightforward. It's gone under the tooth, else I'd have got one of these DIY kits. Never heard of them before.

My dentist still isn't doing fillings .... he's only doing emergencies (by appointment) and hasn't opened, so now it's rescheduled again from next week until September 28th.

It only growls a little now and then ... but if it plays up I have my pliers ready. I won't miss it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top