Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 09:04 PM

Re: The effects of a bad childhood

I don't really care for the term … "discipline". I much prefer the term, instruction. Too many people associate "discipline' with corporal punishment.

I very much hate that ancient saying from The Bible, "Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with one quick smack, with the bare hand, on the fanny, of a small child. Anything beyond that is , in my opinion, going too far.

Once I was standing in line at the dept of motor vehicles when a Hispanic woman slapped her 4 yr old very hard across the face. I lost it. I got in her face with my nose almost touching hers, bared my teeth, and I said, "Woman, if you touch that little girl again I'm calling the cops and I WILL press charges". When it was my turn to be seen, a Hispanic lady was behind the counter and she said to me, "I saw and heard what you did". She took my hand and said, "Good for you. God bless you".
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 09:26 PM

Don't remember being instructed in right and wrong, it was sort of intuitive.
There are things where legislation and training are a waste of time.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Don't remember being instructed in right and wrong, it was sort of intuitive.
There are things where legislation and training are a waste of time.
That's probably because you, like most of us here, were brought up properly!
If your parents, their friends and everyone around you were well behaved, the chances are that you as a child would be as well.
Buzzzer
USA
Buzzzer is male  Buzzzer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 04:21 AM

I can relate to Susan M. My childhood was good until my mom married my stepfather who somehow turned her way of thinking into his way of thinking. I never suffered any physical abuse, but had to deal with mental, verbal and emotional abuse. I was eventually thrown out of the home. But in spite of all that, I think I turned out pretty good, although I'm not perfect, and I know to treat and respect everyone equally.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top