Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:20 PM

Re: Traits,Habits, Quirks and Superstitions

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I always remember my best friend I used to walk to school with. Her Mum would never let her wash her hair at ' that time of the month.'
Can't remember why now though.
My Mum used to say that too, Mups
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
My Mum used to say that too, Mups

It was advised not to have your hair permed at this time as it wouldn’t ‘take’.
I’m not sure why?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
It was advised not to have your hair permed at this time as it wouldn’t ‘take’.
I’m not sure why?
How strange .... I suppose these were the old wives tales from years ago.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:43 PM

No superstition here but my late wife had a few. She had an opal ring left to her by her mum, but she'd never wear it because apparently, opals bring bad luck to the wearer. It's still stuffed inside a ring-box because none of her daughters want it either. She wouldn't allow lilies in the house because it's what they have at funerals. I agree with that one because they smell bloody awful.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
No superstition here but my late wife had a few. She had an opal ring left to her by her mum, but she'd never wear it because apparently, opals bring bad luck to the wearer. It's still stuffed inside a ring-box because none of her daughters want it either. She wouldn't allow lilies in the house because it's what they have at funerals. I agree with that one because they smell bloody awful.

Yes Judd, my Mum used to say Opals were unlucky too.
Same with the Lilies too, and I won't have them in my house, and neither do I grow them.
The pollen is also extremely toxic to cats! (Not that I have any), but still wouldn't have Lilies round me.

Mum also used to say " Pearls bring tears." Gawd knows why.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

01-07-2020, 11:07 PM

The smell of lilies in the house gives me a headache
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes Judd, my Mum used to say Opals were unlucky too.
Same with the Lilies too, and I won't have them in my house, and neither do I grow them.
The pollen is also extremely toxic to cats! (Not that I have any), but still wouldn't have Lilies round me.

Mum also used to say " Pearls bring tears." Gawd knows why.
Hmmm.... maybe worth growing some in the garden to keep the cats from murdering my birds.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 07:09 AM

Reading through this thread the majority of posts are of superstitions bringing bad luck. There are more of those shown on the thread below, strange things superstitions:

https://www.livescience.com/14141-13...rstitions.html

However, there are also those that are supposed to bring good luck. Strangely one or two didn't bring much luck to the subject – the 'lucky' rabbit, not very lucky for the rabbit. Another is it being lucky to snap a chicken wishbone and whoever has the larger piece is supposed to receive good luck, the chicken wasn't all that lucky though:

https://www.thebalanceeveryday.com/l...-origin-895272
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 08:24 AM

I've no idea where this comes from but I remember it to this day...when we were little me and my sister used to get the bus to my grans it went under the dark arches just beyond City Square in Leeds....my sister told me never to speak as we went under them if we did something dreadful would happen and we would certainly break a cup? ...weird or what

I abide by the rule even now though.....its funny what sticks with you
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
With me, I'm shy....... always put me underpants on first
Ah yes, I should have said after me kicks.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top