Join for free
Page 18 of 19 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 11:39 AM

Re: It's Been Puzzling Me????

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
When I washed up here I was not particularly politically au fait, and found many of the political threads confusing.
I also found that some posters had views that were so entrenched there was no attempt at seeing the other point of view.

When the referendum loomed I initially was happy to vote Remain but over time I changed my mind.
Merkel's actions plus the prospect of Turkey joining the EU was the nail in the coffin for me.

I must say that posts like this (above) I find reasonable and persuasive and I agree with every word.

The crap throwing tit for tat insults do nothing for this forum.
Same here, i was persuaded by the debate. I'm not a little Englander although I think Mrs Merkel and her open door policy was a big mistake and influenced the referendum outcome. Great post swims, i agree with Morty too we are all getting fed up with insults sometimes it has to be said.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 12:54 PM

I'm feeling the vibes ...

Okay.. hands up, guilty as charged .. I engaged in the exchange of insults but that is because as far as I'm concerned when someone just wants to sling insults at Brexiteers, rather than just discuss Brexit ( and aren't we all getting weary of that) they deserve to get insulted back. I retract nothing.

But ... in future, if anyone wants to call a Brexiteer an ass wipe, or an idiot or a traitor ... I will contain myself, sit on my hands, keep my mouth shut.
Can't say fairer than that.
I shall console myself with the fact that I abstained from voting so don't know why I'm getting involved in the first place. I mean, I didn't then did I.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->

Okay.. hands up, guilty as charged .. I engaged in the exchange of insults but that is because as far as I'm concerned when someone just wants to sling insults at Brexiteers, rather than just discuss Brexit ( and aren't we all getting weary of that) they deserve to get insulted back. I retract nothing.

But ... in future, if anyone wants to call a Brexiteer an ass wipe, or an idiot or a traitor ... I will contain myself, sit on my hands, keep my mouth shut.
I shall console myself with the fact that I abstained from voting so don't know why I'm getting involved in the first place. I mean, I didn't then did I.
I don't know why but I always see your reactions as quite humourous I've never seen you attack anyone personally, it's always a reaction to other people name calling etc and you never seem to go away angry. I'm not saying carry on but if you can't stop just know it's not as upsetting to me at least as some peoples nasty person insults. That probably made no sense but I'm on a lot of pain killers today it's making me a bit muddle headed
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 01:18 PM

It made sense to me ...

I can have a sharp tongue and if it's going to rock the boat of forum harmony I'm happy to shut it and let it rust a bit. At least on this thread ... so not too rusty.
It doesn't look good if a thread is full of bickering... though we are all used to a certain level on here as it pumps the adrenalin and helps keep us all youthful and alive.
I can shed ten years just by logging on. After an hour I'm throwing away my Tena Lady and reaching for a nappy instead. Hee..hee.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->

Re those particular fragrant words highlighted...I looked in at the profile of she with whom thou wouldst exchange ripe comments, and see that she's named Azz as a friend.

In my book you don't insult a friend by wilfully ignoring the very rules that his forum insists upon, the very same rules that we all have to follow whether we like it or not, and the very same rules that have caused many of us a ban in the past.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 01:50 PM

Off topic a bit but it's never IMO a good idea for owners or even mods to have friends on forums, unless it's a tiny friendship based forum with no threads for politics and religion etc. It quickly gives others a reason to resent the friend of the mod. Whether they are scruplelessly fair or not.

Just IMO as I say. I've seen it go sour too often.
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Someone said the eu workers work cheaper and harder, harder I can only agree because they are usually younger than me these days I'm competing against 18 - 20 year olds, I used to work like that but over 30 years of doing so I'm knackered now, cheaper is a huge problem they can do that in their own country but stop bringing down my wages to their rate please.

Anyone tried to live on or below nmw ? It's not easy and it a bloody cheek anyone wanting to pay less than that ! There should be dignity in work not something you lose sleep over whether you can pay your rent or not.

So far wages in cleaning in Surrey have gone down by 40 percent how much farther do remainers want us to fall.
One of the outcomes I dread as a result of Brexit is that the UK will no longer be signed up to the European Working Time Directive and the Temporary Agency Workers Directive. I fear without those directives that future governments, faced with the poverty and austerity Brexit will cause, will strip workers of their rights to things like to holiday pay, working hours and health and safety and the minimum wage, using economic crisis as an excuse.

We have already seen with the mess they have made of Universal Credits, the homeless crisis, cutting disability benefits and housing benefits and benefit sanctions that our governments often have no concern for our poorest, including our working poor. And I fear without the restrictions of EU regulations, they will be nothing stopping them doing their worst.

http://https://www.theguardian.com/c...rective-rights

A lot of Brexiters are too old to be working or to need this protection. And they know their own pensions and incomes are secure because the Boomer generation holds a lot of political clout due to sheer numbers in our top heavy society and no party dare upset them.

That's one of the reasons I think the older generation were selfish to vote Brexit and risks the rights of the younger generation who are working to pay their pensions.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-01-2018, 02:05 PM

Preventing people working hours they wanted was awful IMO that brought poverty to many who didn't realise they could sign off on the rule and carry on working longer hours. It's caused the explosion of part time working IMO
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
One of the outcomes I dread as a result of Brexit is that the UK will no longer be signed up to the European Working Time Directive and the Temporary Agency Workers Directive. I fear without those directives that future governments, faced with the poverty and austerity Brexit will cause, will strip workers of their rights to things like to holiday pay, working hours and health and safety and the minimum wage, using economic crisis as an excuse.

We have already seen with the mess they have made of Universal Credits, the homeless crisis, cutting disability benefits and housing benefits and benefit sanctions that our governments often have no concern for our poorest, including our working poor. And I fear without the restrictions of EU regulations, they will be nothing stopping them doing their worst.

http://https://www.theguardian.com/c...rective-rights

A lot of Brexiters are too old to be working or to need this protection. And they know their own pensions and incomes are secure because the Boomer generation holds a lot of political clout due to sheer numbers in our top heavy society and no party dare upset them.

That's one of the reasons I think the older generation were selfish to vote Brexit and risks the rights of the younger generation who are working to pay their pensions.
That was my reason for voting to stay in the EU, I know only too well what the Tories are capable of.
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Twizzle, you are entitled to your views on Brexit and I respect the views of those who voted to remain.

Whilst we have very different views on the subject, I am always willing to listen to rational reasoning and there are many reasons for staying in the EU.

I thought about my vote and knew that there would be a financial cost to pay.

I am quite willing to pay extra Tax to cover that shortfall, I do not want the most vulnerable genuine people to suffer.

My objection was the way things were going, I do not want to be part of a Federal Europe, I do not want us to adopt the Euro and I most certainly do not want the UK to be part of an EU Army, with an EU Agenda.

Merkel over ruling all EU Policy and opening the Borders to Economic Migrants was the best example of the way things were going.

There was no discussion or agreement on this, just Unilateral action and then when things went wrong, everybody had to take a quota of those Germany did not want.

I find this very, very wrong.

The UK has a long history of taking genuine refugees, we take them direct from the Refugee Camps, those with nothing at all, the ones most in need.

The Yazidis, Kurds and Christians, used as sex slaves by ISIS, not rich economic migrants, we take those who cannot afford to pay the people smugglers.

I am proud that we do this, 20,000 a year.

I am not stupid, far from it, I am not Xenophobic, I have two Polish Businesses registered at my house.

I have an agreement with the local NHS, new foreign doctors and nurses I put up until they find permanent accommodation.

I am neither thick, stupid, Xenophobic or a Little Englander.

I can make myself understood in French, Polish, Pashto, Farsi, Tagalog, Thai and Khmer, I understand Arabic and Ukranian, albeit all with a broad Yorkshire accent.

I am quite happy to discuss the merits or demerits of voting to leave.

What I object to is rants labelling me as stupid, thick, xenophobic and a Little Englander.

I am none of these, I am quite capable of thinking and taking rational decisions.

My rational decision was to leave and take the consequences.

I respect the views of those who came to a different conclusion.

I do not insult them, please do not insult me.
The problem I have with that is it's not only, or mostly you who has to take the consequences.

42 million of us will have to suffer them against our will. Our rights to travel and work will be restricted, we are already suffering from rising prices. I suspect next on the hit list will be workers rights and the minimum wage.

Why should some of the poorest in our society be sacrificed to your principles? As an older person you are likely to suffer less financial and lifestyle damage for a shorter time than the next generation you are inflicting Brexit on.

If you didn't vote Brexit because you are stupid, thick, xenophobic and a Little Englander, then the only other reasons I can think of are a vindictiveness towards the young or a selfish willingness to put your principles on independence above other people's well being.

I don't think it's unusual to insult those you believe are hell bent on doing you harm, you're hardly going to give them a big squishy hug, are you?

Page 18 of 19 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top