Join for free
Page 11 of 24 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 05:25 PM

Re: British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Clockwise?
Whitworth or metric?
Righty tighty, lefty loosy!
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I have to say that I have never discussed Noel or Baddiel in a social interaction. I couldn't give a flying fork about either. I like game of thrones but would not discuss it with friends as there are better things to talk about. IMO if you have to talk about popular culture at a social gathering then you don't have enough in common in the first place.
I'm talking about all manner of references including on TV and radio.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Just because everyone doesn't have these limited ideas of popular British culture doesn't make them weird .
I wouldn't know Noel Edmunds if I walked past him in the street and have never had a conversation about him .
Popular is a subjective word what is popular among one group of people is not to others .
God knows there are even non Asian people like myself who have never watched Eastenders or other mind numbing soaps which are supposedly 'popular '
I used quotes calling it "popular culture" - which is the term people use to talk about such a range of things, knowing that some would want to make a big deal about it.

I bet ALL your friends know who Noel Edmunds is.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
I'm talking about all manner of references including on TV and radio.
Like I said, I will talk about such things to people where there is not much else to discuss (the weather?) or if I know they are interested in it and want to strike a rapport. But I have better things to talk to good friends about. I'd rather have a laugh than discuss a celebrity who is paid to make us laugh.

So if you asked me about half the pseudo celebs on tv these days I would not have a clue.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 07:35 PM

I used quotes calling it "popular culture" - which is the term people use to talk about such a range of things, knowing that some would want to make a big deal about it.

I will have to ask OH whether he has heard of Noel Edmunds. If someone doesn't play footie or cricket then he won't be on his radar.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 08:22 PM

I think I can feel a poll coming on!

People could pm me with the name(s) of who they consider to be "popular" as in Noel Edmonds, and then everyone could vote for those they'd never heard of!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 08:29 PM

I have never discussed him with them .
My friends aren't so trivial .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
... but today is Friday, isn't it?
It will be, tomorrow.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

30-05-2019, 09:26 PM

Ok I checked with OH and he confirmed he had heard of Noel Edmunds. He was a popular DJ in his era. But he also remembered swap shop. We had never discussed Noel before today! NB I had no idea about the DJ history. I just remember swap shop (and then all the weird stuff).
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

30-05-2019, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have never discussed him with them .
My friends aren't so trivial .
I agree. I have never spent so much time thinking about Noel Edmunds! At least not since the early 70s when I was a typical child obsessed with swap shop.

Page 11 of 24 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top